Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Throwing Security Aside

Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (that is, the Son of Timaeus), was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.”
So they called to the blind man, “Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.” Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.
“What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.
The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
“Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.

Mark 10:46-52
Oh, how I love the Word of God! Not only for it's encouragement and hope, it's teaching and direction, but also for the way it digs into my heart and causes me to change.

This particular passage raises several questions for my heart.
*Why were people rebuking Bartimaeus for calling out to Jesus? Do I ever discourage people from seeking Him?
*Bartimaeus shouted all the more. Do I have the courage to keep going when others are mocking me?
*Bartimaeus wasted no time responding to Jesus' call. Do I drag my feet when Jesus calls me?
*It was Bartimaeus' faith which made him well. Do I believe Jesus is able to do great things in my life?

These are all great questions!
However, if we stop there, I believe we're missing a gem.

Some time ago when I was studying this passage I learned in interesting thing which changed the way I see Bartimaeus.
Did you catch what he did with his cloak?
He threw it aside.
At first glance that action may not seem like such a big deal. He wanted to get to Jesus, so he quickly got rid of anything which might hinder him, right? A good idea, to be sure. If Jesus is calling, your best move is to get up and see what He wants!
But there's more to it. Bartimaeus was a beggar. His cloak was significant. It was probably the only "thing" he had. It would have been is bed at night, his shelter from the rain and sun, even his "collection plate" for the alms which passers by would offer him. His cloak was his security!
(If you can say a beggar has security...)
Yet, when Jesus called, Bartimaeus threw his cloak aside. He was so confident in Jesus, he immediately let go of that which had previously meant security to himself.

And that action of Bartimaeus' causes me to ask my heart, Am I clinging to an old form of security, rather than trusting fully in Jesus?

Are you?

Karen

No comments: