Friday, April 05, 2013

Lessons From the Edge

Sometimes sunshine is shaky, wrinkled, and forgetful.

What do you think of when you say the word, sunshine?
Do you see images in your mind's eye of a bright blue sky surrounding a giant yellow orb which shoots out long rays of shimmering beauty? Maybe with alternating flecks of orange?

Ooo! I just Googled "sunshine images" and found this one. Yeah. This is what I'm talking about!
It's beautiful, fresh, and full of life. *ahhhhhhh*

However, I've been observing a different kind of sunshine at Edgewood.

I have a habit of greeting particular residents when I come into work by saying, "Good morning, sunshine!" And the smile they return for my greeting is one which truly does warm my heart, the way sunshine warms my skin.
Yes, I would certainly describe these residents as warm. But to say they have anything else in common with my image of sunshine? I really couldn't do it.
Perhaps 40 or 50 years ago they could have been described as beautiful (or handsome), fresh, and full of life. But today those words just don't match. Today they struggle to stand up. They pass gas frequently and openly. They can't keep their hands still. And, quite frankly, sometimes they really don't look very good at all.

Yet, every time I see them I am compelled to say, "Hello, sunshine!" And the way their face lights up with my greeting always, always warms my heart. So I will continue my sunshine greeting with these folks, in spite of the fact they aren't very 'sunshine-y'. Because I am learning to see them in a different light. And in this light - they are beautiful!

Sometimes sunshine is shaky, wrinkled, and forgetful.

Is there someone in your world who needs to know you see them as sunshine?

Karen

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Karen, what an awesome post!! I'm closer to the shakey, wrinkled stage of sunshine than the fresh, beautiful stage and I hope I have someone like you around when I get there. Blessings to you as you minister to those precious Edgewood residents.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Thank you. :) They ARE precious. And I am blessed by being there!