Friday, August 09, 2013

Lessons From the Edge

You can't do it. But GOD CAN.

So, I just celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary on Wednesday, and today I have another.

Anniversary, that is. Not another wedding! *wink*

Today marks my third anniversary as the Activities Director at Edgewood Retirement Center.
And, like any other anniversary, it gives me cause to pause, and reflect.
And, like any other time I pause and reflect, I am delighted to be a witness to the power and faithfulness of God.

While it is true I LOVE what I get to do at Edgewood, I LOVE the men and women I serve there, and I LOVE the opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus, it is equally true that my struggles surrounding this job have been huge.
* I cannot count the number of times I was absolutely convinced I could not make it as a "working mother". (Paid to work, that is. I know ALL moms are working mothers!)
* The challenge of at-work relationships has tested my patience, and endurance, and capacity to care.
* Understanding my calling and trying to decipher my priorities has, at times, left me at a loss for what to do next.
* My anxiety and depression diagnosis came during my tenure at Edgewood. And I'm quite certain the added pressure of working played a significant role in wearing me down so I finally went to see the doc.
* Oh, how many times I have wanted to throw my hands up in the air and yell, "I can't do this!
I QUIT!!!"
But here I am, looking in the eye of my third anniversary. And I can testify that the struggles haven't destroyed me, as I feared they might. The challenges have grown me. Even the pressure has been used for my good. What I once thought was going to ruin me, God has used for good. And He has even used me in the process to be a light for Him.

Is any of this resonating with you?
Are you at a place in mothering where you're feeling particularly challenged?
Is there relational strife between you and your husband? Or someone else?
Have you had just about all you can take from the stress at work, or church, or any other group of which you are a part?
Feeling like throwing your hands up in the air with a declaration that you just can't do this anymore???

Wherever you find yourself today on the spectrum of Life-is-good to I-quit!, I want to encourage you to hold on. Hold on to God. Hold on to hope. Hold on to faith. Just hold on. And watch God display His power.

You can't do it. But GOD CAN.

Karen

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

I can't believe it has been 3 years. I know you are such a huge blessing to those folks. God has been faithful to walk with you through all the struggles, just as He is with all of us. Happy Edgewood Anniversary!!!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I can hardly believe it either. So many times I didn't think I'd make it this far. But God is faithful, and so much more able than limited me. *peaceful sigh*