Monday, January 06, 2014

Thinking About 2013

Welcome back to the blog! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas celebration - and that 2014 is off to a good start.

My favorite thing about a new year is the time we take to remember and wonder. Remember what the previous year held, and wonder at all that is to come. And since elderly folks seem to enjoy reminiscing, I decided to do a little "Looking Back" as an activity at Edgewood.
We sat in a circle and each person drew a question out of a bowl. Individuals read and answered their own question, and then anyone else who wanted to chime in on the same question did so.
In all honesty, I didn't expect the activity to be for my benefit (I'm an introvert, remember. I prefer to do the reflecting alone...) but I absolutely loved it. So much so that I'm going to share my answers here with you. And even encourage you to answer them yourselves!

What was your favorite memory in 2013?
Without question, my favorite memory came from last March when I got to sing with Kathy Troccoli at the Among Friends conference which was hosted by my church.
If you didn't have the chance to watch the video when it first happened, here's the link. *grin*

What was the single best thing that happened in 2013?
Another no-brainer for me. The marriage retreat Brian and I attended in October was the best thing that happened this past year. Perhaps the best thing for our marriage in the entire two decades we've been husband and wife.
Which reminds me, Go the Distance is having another marriage retreat March 21-23. If you're the married type, and you live in Michigan, I would emphatically encourage you to check the information at this link.

What was the best lesson you learned over the past year?
Wait patiently. For both the situations around me which I'd like to rush in and "fix", and the situations in my own life which I need God to orchestrate.
God has shown me over and over in 2013 how important it is for me to wait on HIS timing. And I have learned I can wait without worry because HE is perfectly faithful. Every time.

How did you grow personally?
I'm not going to name names *ahem* but God gave me many "opportunities" to deal with difficult people last year. My personal insecurities and battle with depression make it that much more difficult for me to interact with people who I perceive as critical of me, so these "opportunities" are never pleasant.
However, by the grace of God, I am able to look at those interactions as areas of personal growth. I am growing in confidence in who I am in Christ (so "their" evaluation of me doesn't hurt as much) and I am growing in my ability to think and hear realistically. That is, I am getting better at discerning what matters and what I can let roll off my back. Thank You, JESUS!

What was your greatest challenge in 2013?
Dealing with teenage angst. I'll leave it at that. *wink*

What was one unexpected joy you experienced in 2013?
Ahhhhh. Definitely it was an unexpected joy to see Joshua take an interest in his grades at school. Homework and "caring" about school have been a long-standing struggle with him. But starting this past fall, Joshua really seems to care. He checks his grades regularly and is proud of his achievements.
After so much nagging prodding on my part, it is a relief and a joy to have him "owning it".

What is one hope you have for 2014?
Well...this is the year Elizabeth graduates from high school and goes to college. So much of life in front of her! My biggest hope for this year is that my precious girl will continue to thrive as she begins to leave the nest. That her heart will remain steadfast and true to the God she loves, and that HE will remain faithful to her as HE has promised.
And I love that my "hope" is a "given" because God always keeps His promises. *peaceful sigh*

OK. Now it's your turn. How would you answer these questions?

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Karen. It helped me put some perspective on the struggles I went through as well as the blessings of 2013. So good to reflect on how I have grown and also about what I can do to change and do better this year. hugs***chera