Friday, April 04, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

Givers have a hard time receiving.

Anyone know what next week is?

Why, it's National Volunteer Week.

And, because we have so many fabulous volunteers who help keep life at Edgewood "full", we had a party this week to honor them - and to say THANKS!
Yeah, I know. We had the party in the "wrong" week. My boss is on vacation next week, and I wanted her to be here for the party. So there! *wink*

The plans had all been made - and most of the work had been done - when our guests of honor began arriving Wednesday afternoon. I went out to the atrium to greet them, and invite them to relax on the couches until the party started. And some of these wonderful people tried to rebel against me.
Seriously.
They said things like, "What can I do?" and "How can I help?" and "Do you need assistance with anything?"
And I'm all, "Hello!!?? This is a Volunteer Appreciation Party! You're here so we can honor and thank you. You aren't here to work. Now sit down, and quit trying to be helpful!"

I smiled at the scene I'd just lived, as I walked back into the dining room to finish putting things together. I mean, I understood them. These people are natural "givers". They love to serve. It's in their wiring. It's what they do! So I understood the trouble they had coming to a party and not being able to help.
And I chuckled at the irony of the circumstance: Givers, not being allowed to give.
Yet at the same time, I hoped with all my heart that these men and women would be able to slow down enough - to enjoy the event put on for them - so they would recognize how important they are to everyone at Edgewood. Because they are!
For as much as I appreciate their hard work and dedication - their giving, I wanted them to receive our thanks.

So now, I need to turn this lesson around to you. Are you a natural-born-helper? Do you love to give, and hesitate to receive? Would you rather host a party than be the guest of honor?
Then you are probably well acquainted with this week's lesson.
May I encourage you right now to let someone appreciate you? The next time a person says, "Thanks for all you do," will you resist the urge to say, "Awwww, it's nothing,"? Instead, try saying, "You're welcome. I'm so glad to know my contribution makes a difference to you."
I know, I know. Givers have a hard time receiving. But if you are in that category, just for kicks, let someone serve you!

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

What a great reminder! Sometimes it is hard for me to receive. When we givers don't receive well, we are shortchanging another person from receiving a blessing as a result of their desire to give.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Exactly! So easy for us to forget that someone might be BLESSED when we allow them to give.