Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Gift for my College Girl

Ahhhh.
Feels like a long time since I've been sitting at the keyboard, typing out a post for this blog. I had a good break. And I'm glad to be back at it now.
One of the things I did over the past weeks was to make a gift for Elizabeth, and I want to tell you about it today. A friend of mine heard about this idea on Family Life Radio and passed it on to me - thinking I would like to do it for my girl. *I'm so glad she did!*

This is how it went:
I gathered ten envelopes and wrote one of these statements on each envelope:
*Open when you bomb a test.
*Open when you're overwhelmed.
*Open when you're facing a tough decision.
*Open when you don't know what to do.
*Open when you feel like giving up.
*Open when you feel alone.
*Open when you're anxiously awaiting an answer.
*Open when you regret something you've done.
*Open when you feel a cold coming on.
*Open when everything is going great.
I wrote a note to Elizabeth for each situation. I prayed for her as I wrote - knowing God is timeless and will answer those prayers when she faces each circumstance. To the best of my ability, I shared words of wisdom from my mother's heart which I pray will comfort and encourage her each time she opens an envelope. And, because I am a huge fan of carrying scripture in my pocket, I also included a piece of paper in each envelope with a scripture verse appropriate for each situation. I suggested Elizabeth carry the verse with her and read it often.
Then, I put all the small envelopes into one BIG envelope and sent it off to Wheaton.
Even though my girl is becoming a woman, even though she is spreading her wings and learning how to fly, she is still my girl and I am still her mom. And I am delighted God has put me in a position to care for and support my daughter - even when we aren't under the same roof.

What words of encouragement would you have written regarding any of those circumstances?

Karen

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Karen, I LOVE this idea! She is very blessed to have such a loving, caring mother.

Leah Adams said...

What an awesome idea!! I'm going to remember this. Wonder if boys would use it?

Sara K. said...

This is such a great idea, Karen! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear how it impacts her. :)

Patricia said...

Oh how I just LOVE this idea, Karen!! Thank you for sharing it! And glad to see you back!

Karen Hossink said...

Sarah - Thank you. :)

Leah - I wonder, too. I'm going to have to think on that, because I'll have a boy leaving the nest in two years...

Sara - Ahhh, perhaps a future blog post will contain her response. :)

Patricia - You're welcome.
And, thanks!