Friday, October 17, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

Things aren't always as easy as they seem.

The fun part of this lesson came from a "Donut Eating Contest" we had Wednesday afternoon.
We tied donuts from the ceiling and challenged people to eat them from the string.
Without using their hands.
And, while at first many folks thought it a strange game, no one realized how difficult it would be.
It was kind of funny to hear audience members "coaching" the contestants.
Just bite it!
Use your tongue to grab the donut!

They had no idea.
When all was said and done, everyone had a great time - and enjoyed LOTS of laughter.
But the recurring phrase that afternoon was, "Wow! That was harder than I thought it would be!"

Like I said, that was the fun part of the lesson.

The not-fun part came earlier in the week.
I had the day off Monday so I could attend my uncle's memorial service, and when I came in Tuesday I had notes from Monday morning's staff meeting in my email. As I read through them I was surprised to read, "D moved out Sunday". I mean, I knew her move-out was coming. I knew I was going to have to say good-bye. And, while I wasn't happy about the prospect of it, I knew she needed to move. (We are going to be adding a memory-care facility to our property in the next year-or-so. But until that happens, I have to say good-bye to folks whose needs have gone beyond what we're able to do. *sad face*)
But I've seen people leave before.
And it's always been OK.
However, this time the actual move happened without my knowledge. And I didn't get to say good-bye. And I want to go give her one more hug. But D is having a difficult time adjusting to her new home, so for me to go over and see her really wouldn't be good. And the idea of just *bam!* ending the relationship breaks my heart.

This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

And there's that lesson, again. Things aren't always as easy as they seem.
Thankfully, I have hope and trust in God. I know He is watching over my lovely D. And, although I cannot wrap my arms around her again and tell her I love her, I am praying for her. Believing God will wrap HIS arms around her and love her through this transition.

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

A loss to be sure. Hopefully once D settles in you will be able to go see her. I love how you love those sweet Edgewood people!! Blessings abundant to you.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I hope so, too!
And I have a GREAT story for next week. Can't wait for you to read it. :)