Thursday, December 18, 2014

Music to My Ears

...and my heart.

A couple months ago our family went to a Compassion International event and decided to sponsor a child. We chose our little guy because he shares Matthew's birthday, and his name is Muthiani - which sort of resembles "Matthew". Well, at least the "M" and the "th" do. *ahem*
So, anyway, this is a family affair. And every night at dinner we pray for Muthiani. We follow a monthly prayer schedule which Compassion provided, and each night a different member of our family prays for our little Muthiani.
I think you all know how much I love praying, and praying for this little boy on the other side of the world delights my heart. But may I just tell you - even more than praying for Muthiani myself - I love, LOVE hearing my boys pray for him.
Last night's prayer prompt was for Muthinai to make wise decisions. I sat listening to my son asking God to help this boy choose well in his life, to find friends who will encourage him along good paths, to follow Jesus, and to grow in his faith. And I thought, This is just like the prayers I pray for my son!

I have had the same thought on other evenings when one of my boys has prayed for Muthiani.
And I love it.
I love hearing words from their mouths which echo prayers from my heart. And I pray that as my sons pray for Muthiani, God will mold their hearts and build in them the desire to have the very thing in their own lives which they are praying for in Muthiani's life.

Karen

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

I love that you sponsor a Compassion child. I sponsor two little girls in Tanzania and one in Columbia. The one from Columbia was my Mother's sponsored child, but when Mother was no longer able to communicate with her, I took her sponsorship. Compassion is doing amazing work!!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Indeed, they are. The event we went to was called The Compassion Experience and was a walk-through tour and narration of real Compassion kids' experiences. So inspiring.
We are excited to be able to sponsor Muthiani.