Friday, July 03, 2015

This Week with Grandma

You all know my grandmother is almost 98 years old, right?
And, as such, she struggles with a lot of things about which folks my age don't even give a second thought. In fact, they're things which bring her spirits down and cause her even to cry sometimes.
And I get so sad when she tells me about "another bad night" or her "achy legs." Wishing there was something I could do to lighten her load.

Well, yesterday her load was lightened a bit.

But it had nothing to do with me, or anything I'd done.

While Grandma was eating breakfast, her telephone rang. I ran into her room, grabbed the phone, hit the "talk" button and said, "Hello. This is Peg Sheaffer's phone." And the voice on the other end was one I recognized. It was a friend from Edgewood, calling to say. Hi!
So I took the phone to Grandma and announced, "It's Thelma!"
*cue: big smile on Grandma's face*

What happened next put a big ol' smile on my face.

I'm sure it was in response to Thelma asking something like "How are you doing?" that my grandmother started talking about her "bad" night. Only this time she didn't sound sad. In fact, she was laughing. Before I knew it, the two of them were laughing at each other's tales of woe regarding aging - including charlie horses and incontinence. The subject matter seemed a bit odd to me, but apparently among the aged it's fair game. Kinda reminds me of young mothers one-upping each other with labor horror stories, and diaper blow-out tragedies.
Anyway, after that phone conversation Grandma was in good spirits and ready to take on the day.

*cue the music*

Karen

3 comments:

Mommy's coffee break blog said...

So nice to hear grandma's spirits were lifted. Reminds me of when I would be over chatting with my grandma and one of her friends would call and she would be so happy to talk with them too. ((hugs))

Karen Hossink said...

Mommy - Isn't it just the best to hear them on the phone - laughing and sharing life and just being happy? Made my heart smile so big. :)

Mommy's coffee break blog said...

Yes, it was a special joy to be apart of those moments. I still remember teasing my Grandma, because she would get so many phone calls when I visited. She would say, "Oh the phone doesn't stop ringing.." and I would say wow Grandma you are so popular...he he. It was funny because she would comment like it was inconvenient, but she loved talking to her friends, so she wasn't fooling anybody. I look forward to laughing with Grandma again one day, I miss that.:)