Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Unashamed: Re-Post

Originally posted March 4, 2010.

God used my dog to teach me a wonderful lesson recently. I don't mean the one about my comfort doesn't really matter.
This one was even better.

I walked into the kitchen and said Hello to Mindy. She looked up at me, wagged her tail and immediately flopped onto the floor - on her back, belly up, paws limp, tail wagging, waiting expectantly.
And do you know what I did?

I walked right over to her and started rubbing her tummy, telling her how much I love her.
I mean, what else was I to do? It was clear that she wanted me to love on her. How else should I have responded? Yes, maybe I had laundry to fold, or carrots to cut, or blogs to read. But Mindy was laying there totally vulnerable and unashamed, just waiting for me to love her.
And it was truly a delight for me to give her the attention she craved.

As I knealt there petting my dog, noticing how freely she received my love, something occurred to me. I mused, I think God would like for me to approach Him in much the same way my dog has approached me today.
I realized, I really don't need this dog. Rather, she needs me. She is completely dependent on me to take care of her. She needs me (or one of the kids!) to feed her and give her water. When she needs to go outside, she gets my attention and I let her out. I give Mindy her heartworm pills and take her to the vet for check-ups. I take her on walks (Or, I did until I got this stress-fracture in my foot. Did I tell you about that?) and I even trim her nails.
Yeah, I pretty much do everything for that dog.

Just like God does everything for me.

And as she laid on the floor, basking my love - unashamed and joyful to receive it - I realized something else. In this act of enjoying my love, my dog was doing something for me. She was delighting me heart!

It truly brought me joy to see my dog enjoying my love.

And that's why I think God wants me to come to Him the same way.
Realizing I am completely dependent on Him - for everything - yet totally unashamed to freely receive His love. As I sit in His presence, fully enjoying the love He lavishes on me, I believe I will delight His heart.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go soak in my Father's love. I hope you'll do the same!

Karen

No comments: