Friday, October 27, 2017

This Really Shouldn't Happen

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home from a speaking event, and I stopped into a fast food restaurant to get a sandwich and drink. *read that: CAFFEINE*
The young lady who took my order gave me a cup to get my drink caffeine, and then informed me - in a bit of a timid voice - that the rest of my order was going to take a few minutes. I smiled at her and said that wasn't going to be the end of the world for me, and I could wait.
So, I got my caffeine and went over to a table by the window to sit in the sun and wait.
I don't remember if it was a text that came in as I sat there, or something else which made me think of a particular person, but I do remember sitting in the warmth of the sunshine, sipping my caffeine, and praying. And it was a delightful time, really. Yes, sitting with the Son and praying. And in a moment which seemed to come too soon, that young lady called my name to indicate my order was ready. So I left my cozy perch and walked up to the counter, at which time she asked me, "Can I get you a complimentary small fry, or small frosty to make up for your wait?"
And I'm thinking, To make up for my wait? Really? I just enjoyed a few minutes sitting in the sunshine, praying for people I love. I'd hardly call that something which requires "making up". But I simply said, "No, thank you. That really isn't necessary."
However, her manager was standing there - working quickly to fill orders - and he looked up and said, "I insist. Most people aren't as nice as you were when their order is delayed. I'd like to thank you."
So I'm thinking, Well, it is chocolate. And if you INSIST... Thus, I asked if he could make me a small frosty without the calories. *wink*
And as I walked out to my car, hands and heart full, I contemplated what had just transpired and I thought, This really shouldn't happen. I don't know what type of behavior that manager is accustomed to handling, but it just doesn't seem right to me that kindness needs to be rewarded with free stuff. I mean, sure, I enjoyed my treat - but I was bothered by the notion that my kindness was so out of the ordinary.

And it's making me think we need to do better as a people.

Whether it's at a fast food shop, the grocery store, the post office, or interacting with a telemarketer or door-to-door salesperson, can we all just be nice? Even if we're a bit inconvenienced? Because the person on the other side is just that - a person - and they need grace, too.

Karen

No comments: