Friday, August 16, 2019

It's My Pleasure

So, it is always our goal at Chick-fil-A to get orders fulfilled and people through the drive-thru as quickly as possible.
But sometimes, for one reason or another, there is a delay. If there are other cars in line whose orders are ready, we typically ask the person "at the window" to pull ahead so we can serve the other guests while their order is being completed.
However, sometimes there are no other cars in line. And on those occassions I often enjoy conversations with our guest while we wait. Such was the case with a local school teacher last week. In fact, we were having such a nice exchange that even after I passed out her order - she stayed and we continued talking.
Somehow we got on to the subject of reading books aloud, which is when - for some reason - I told her about my love of reading to children. I told her about a Performance of Literature class I took in college, and how I love to "become" the characters in books when I read aloud. She said, "You should come read to my class in March. That's March-is-Reading month. My first-graders would love you!" And just as I was telling her I would be happy to do it, a car pulled up in the drive-thru and we bid one another farewell.
She drove away, the day progressed, and life continued.
But I kept thinking about reading to those kids.
Like, for days I kept thinking about it.
Until I finally decided to make an attempt to contact this teacher-from-the-drive-thru-who-might-not-know-I-was-serious-when-I-said-I-would-read-to-her-class. She had told me the name of her school and that she was a first-grade teacher, so - armed with that knowledge - I got online and found her school. Then I sent her an email via the school secretary, and expressed my sincere desire to read to her kids.
And I just got a response.
She really wants me to read to her first-graders.
So, yeah, someday the Chick-fil-A lady is going to go to school to read children's books.
And it will absolutely be my pleasure!

Karen

No comments: