Wednesday, December 11, 2013

HE Must Have Been Smiling

...when I wrote this statement for last Friday's post:
"Can you even fathom the immensity of your reach? From the cashier at the grocery store..."

I wrote that statement Thursday afternoon, choosing rather "randomly" examples of people with whom we might come into contact every day. But even as I sat at my kitchen table tapping on my computer, God saw me Friday afternoon at the grocery store.
And that's why I'm sure HE must have been smiling when I wrote about the cashier.

Friday afternoon I was shopping and, as I stood in the check-out lane, I overheard part of the conversation happening between the cashier and the woman who was in line in front of me. I heard him say, "I'm having a very bad day and I don't feel like talking to anyone." He went on to mention that he'd dropped out of school, was quitting his job, and didn't know what he was going to do with his life. Then I heard the woman say something about God, and the cashier responded that he didn't believe in God.

Next.

When it was my turn, the cashier said, "Hi. How are you today?" I responded by saying, "I think I'm doing better than you are..." And our conversation continued along these lines:
Me: Sorry to hear about your bad day.
Him: Yeah.
What were you studying in school?
I didn't have a major. I never had any interests growing up. So I didn't know what I wanted to do. (He had been in college for five years. Never thought he'd use an education, but went because his parents made him.)
Hey, I'll give you a dollar off on your groceries if you can give me tips on being happy.
Wellllll, I heard you tell the customer before me that you don't believe in God. And that would be my main tip. HE changed my life when I was in college.
Mmmmm.
Maybe you should consider Him.
Well, maybe I don't really NOT believe, but...
So, what do you like to do?
I don't have any interests.
OK. What do you do when you aren't here?
I sit at home and watch my roommates do stuff.
I think what you should do is visit a church and meet some new people, and maybe you would find things with them which would interest you.
I can't remember the last time I met a new person.
See? You should give it a try.
Do you have suggestions?
Suggestions?
For a church. I don't know where to go.

So, I told him about the church where I am a member, and about a new service for 20-somethings which I thought he should check out. And he indicated that maybe he would.
By this time, he had finished with my groceries and he said, "I gave you the dollar off on your groceries as I promised." Then I dug through my wallet to find my card. I gave it to him and said, "My email address is on here. If you visit that service at my church, I want you to email me and tell me about it. AND, I'm making you a promise. I promise I'm going to pray for you."

Yes. When I wrote that line, I know God could already see me talking with "C" the next day, and I'm sure HE must have been smiling. Now I'm smiling, as I pray for C and anticipate his Father drawing him close.
I'd love it if you would pray with me!

Karen

No comments: