Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Her Prayers

Elizabeth is home!

Granted, in less than three weeks she'll be leaving for the summer. (She's going to be a camp counselor.) But, for now she's home. And it makes my heart so happy.

Wanna know what makes my heart even happier?

Her prayers!

The other night Brian asked her to say the prayer before dinner. And my heart was completely blessed when I heard the passion in her voice as she prayed for our little Compassion boy. I could sense her love and thankfulness for God, as well as her faith that He can do all things, just by the way she spoke. Now, I am fully aware that God is not concerned with whether our prayers are "eloquent," and He is not impressed by flowery words. But that isn't what I'm talking about regarding Elizabeth. It isn't our job to judge a person's prayer. I mean only to say hearing my daughter pray was evidence to me of how her faith has grown, as well as her relationship with her Father.
You have to understand, this is a girl who used to refuse to pray out loud. She was that timid. But now it seems prayer comes very naturally for her. I think because she's doing it regularly.
And that makes my heart so happy.
Another happy moment came when I was asking about Elizabeth's skin condition. (She has an eczema-type itchy problem.) She said it really hadn't been bothering her much lately. But even when it did flare up, she didn't mind. Because she has begun using the itching as a prayer cue for her friend. And I thought, You've started using prayer cues??? *BIG smile*

If you've been around me for much time, it is likely for you to have a strong sense that I love praying. I love fellowship with God - knowing He is present and listening and active and able to handle what concerns me. I love that He wants me to have this communion with Him! And to see Him cultivating the same thing in my girl? Well, I don't think there is any greater delight for this momma's heart.

Karen

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

This is so wonderful and encouraging to hear! Yay!

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - Yes. It makes me smile every time I think about it. :)