Wednesday, August 29, 2012

God's WorkOUT

Besides the almost-non-stop-laughter on my recent vacation, I also had some great workouts. My sister has been on a weight-loss kick and with all the yummy treats she baked and brought to the cabin, we figured it would be a good idea for us to spend time working out, too. Not that we came anywhere near working off more calories than we consumed. But it was better than nothing.
So, Kim and I took turns coming up with routines to kick each others' *ahem* butts.
She won. She was down-right mean. We were going to do 30 reps of each exercise, but when I needed a break at 20? She made us do 35 to make up for the lost time. My biceps, quads, and calves ached for almost a week after what she put me through.

But half-way through the week, I discovered another necessary workout. Or, rather, work OUT.

One of the things that happens when you spend significant time in close proximity with family members is - well, you start to see some things in yourself which aren't so lovely.
Or, maybe that only happens to me?
So, anyway, I began seeing things in myself which I'd rather weren't there. Because they were attitudes which were not honoring God. And I prayed, asking Him to cleanse me.
I thought of a prayer I have learned which I often repeat: LORD, please work in me that which is pleasing to You. And I changed it up a bit. I said, LORD, please work OUT of me that which is displeasing to You.

I'm not meaning to challenge Him. Not trying to push God to His limits. I certainly hope He won't punish me with additional reps if I need to take a breather. But I DO want to be beautiful after what HE puts me through.
So, until that Day comes, I will continue to pray: LORD, please work OUT of me that which is displeasing to You.

Karen

No comments: