Friday, February 14, 2020

It's My Pleasure

Sometimes I feel rather momish when I'm at work. Looking after the needs of guests and co-workers, making sure they are well-cared-for and prepared for obstacles which might come their way.
That's why I always put a hand wipe in the bag when somebody asks for honey.
Because, you know, sticky hands.

Anyway, I was feeling particularly momish yesterday. The snow was falling steadily, and although folks were telling me early on that the roads were fine, as the morning progressed reports were changing. So I routinely asked if the guest at my window had a lot of driving ahead of them, we typically had a brief discussion about road conditions, and as I sent them on their way with yummy food I lovingly beckoned them to "Drive safely!"

Then there was the guest who gave me the opportunity to move from momish to sisterhood-of-moms-ish. That is, I was handing a chocolate milk out the window and I knew it was accompanying a kids' meal. So I called to the young boy in the back seat, "Oooo, chocolate milk? Who has the best mom in the world???" The soon-to-be-a-chocolate-milk-drinker smiled and said, "I do!"
"That's right," I said (also smiling), "and it's important for you to remember that."
At which point Mom looked at me and said, "Thanks. I need all the help I can get."
And I smiled at her, too, as I said, "I understand," praying a little bit of grace from the mom in the drive-thru would help make her day just a little bit more hopeful.

Whether my role is that of a need-meeter, saftey-cautioner, or spirit-lifter, it truly is my pleasure.

Karen

No comments: