Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Speak, LORD, for Your Servant is Listening

Six years ago, I wrote about my placement in remedial Sunday school.
And this past weekend I realized - I'm still there.

I had looked over the lesson ahead of time. I knew we were going to be hearing about the Christmas story from Mary's perspective, and learning that we can have courage because God has a plan. And I familiarized myself with the activity we would do during small group time. Felt quite prepared to lead the girls in their lesson, thank you.
It wasn't until we were well into the large group presentation that it occurred to me: the lesson might actually be for me, too. I sat there listening with my girls as the teacher presented Truth. No matter how uncertain a circumstance, no matter how frightened we may be of the unknown (like Mary must have been)- we can have confidence because God has a plan.
OK, honestly, that was not new information to me. I've heard it hundreds of times before.
And I believe it!

But hearing it in the midst of my NOW was just the thing I needed.

Because this is what my NOW looks like:
Part of me wants to spend time volunteering with Hospice - because I want to be to someone else what Hospice workers/volunteers were to me.
Part of me wants to explore a profession in the care-giving/counseling industry. Which looks like it would require further education of some sort. So I'm looking into it.
Part of me is interested in other volunteer opportunities with prayer/legislation movements about which I am becoming aware.
Part of me wants to spend the entire day praying our nation through the troubles we're presently facing.
Part of me hopes my summer is going to be busy competing with America's Got Talent. (I went through first-round auditions a month ago. Won't know until the spring if I get to audition in front of the judges on the show.)
All of me wants to do whatever God wants me to do.
If only He would tell me what that "whatever" is.

Soooooo, we finished large group and went back to our classrooms for small group. At which time we were to look up and talk about a few Bible verses which would remind us that we can have courage because God has a plan.
These are the verses we were to discuss:
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

~Joshua 1:9
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

~Jeremiah 29:11
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.

~Psalm 32:8
As we reviewed the verses, I'm all, OK, LORD, I get it. You have a plan. You know the path I should take, and it is good. I can trust You to teach me the way to go. You are always with me, so I don't need to be afraid of the unknown. You will work this all out. Thank You.
And as we were closing our Bibles after that last verse, I could have sworn I heard a whisper in my heart say something like, Need I say more?

What are you waiting to hear?

Karen

No comments: