Thursday, July 19, 2007

Jesus' Calm, Quiet Confidence, Part 2

Last week I wrote about Jesus calm, quiet confidence in the midst of difficult or uncertain circumstances. This morning I was reminded of His confident nature again, as I read Matthew 14:13-21 where Jesus feeds 5,000+ people with only five loaves of bread and two fish.
The disciples saw the large crowd and the small amount of food and wanted to send the people away to get something to eat. I can imagine them saying to one another, "We've got to send these people away to get food. There are so many of them and it's time to eat. They aren't even thinking about dinner, they just want Jesus to heal them. When they realize how hungry they are and that there's nothing here, they're likely to get unruly. What should we do? Let's tell Jesus to send them away - they'll listen to Him."
But Jesus simply said, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat." (Mt. 14:16) Can you imagine the disciples' reaction? Matthew 14:17 says, "'We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,' they answered." I, however, would guess their response (if only within their own heads) was more like, "Are you kidding, Jesus? Five thousand people. Five loaves of bread and two fish. Do the math. It isn't enough!" Yet Jesus wasn't worried. He made it enough. No, He made it more than enough! Without getting upset or anxious Jesus took what the disciples had, gave thanks for it, broke it and gave it back, and it satisfied everyone. With calm, quiet confidence Jesus displayed His power again.

So, a few days ago, as I was thinking about how God is repeating this lesson to me about Jesus being completely and perfectly in control of everything, my mind started wondering...I wrote, Yes, part of me wonders if You are preparing me for something big - in which I will really need to know You are in control. (being sarcastic now)...As if I can handle the small stuff on my own and only need You for the big deals. O, No! I need You for everything, Jesus!
I realized my tendency to look to God for the "big stuff" and the implied notion that I don't need Him for the every-day-boring-run-of-the-mill-not-a-big-deal aspects of life. Not so, friends. God is involved in every boring detail of our lives and I am so thankful He patiently leads me and speaks to me until I "get it."

I closed my first post about this subject asking about the storms which may be brewing in your life. Today I remind us both that Jesus is just as present and powerful in the gentle breeze as He is in the storm!

Have a wonderful day!


post signature

4 comments:

Annie said...

God is definitely there through the big and small stuff!

Shawna said...

Sometimes I forget to "need" Jesus with the small stuff!

A Captured Reflection said...

I read Jesus feeding the 5000 last night, so was great to read what you shared here about his character and deeper things too!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

You know, if we could all "practice the presence of God" constantly...can you even imagine?
I hope that I will look to see the Lord all over the place today and everyday.