Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I'm Doomed!

Yesterday was my kids' first day of school. Everyone got up and dressed and was excited to go to their new school. Our new neighbors came over to walk with Elizabeth to her bus stop, and about an hour later I walked with the boys to theirs. It was after school, when Elizabeth and I walked to meet the boys as they got off the bus, that I realized I'm doomed.
Also standing there, waiting for her son, was a neighbor I hadn't yet met. We chatted for a few minutes and she seemed quite nice. When the bus came and our boys all got off somehow the conversation turned to bugs and mice. (Go figure. Joshua comes upon the scene and there goes the conversation!) Something about this woman's demeanor made me think she wasn't so big on bugs and mice and she seemed eager to change the subject. However, before I could do anything about it Elizabeth told her we have pet mice, and she said something about wanting a rat. I thought, Great. Here goes any chance this woman will ever want to come visit our house!
But, no! She smiled and told us she loves rats, that she used to have one. Immediately Elizabeth engaged her in a conversation about the merits of having a rat for a pet and I practically stood there watching all my arguments against said pets, flying out the window. (OK, I really only have one argument. I think their tails look like snakes, and that just creeps me out!)
This woman's testimony about pet rats, coupled with the fact one of Joshua's pet mice died yesterday and the other one has got to be going any minute now, has me fearing I will soon be inundated with requests for a pet rat. This is why I think I'm doomed. A reasonable sounding adult said she likes rats, and my kids heard her say it. We're going to have an empty cage soon! Pray for me friends! I need to be strong. I must resist the temptation to give in to this insane request. I cannot say "Yes" to a rat. Besides, what will my mother say if I tell her I'm going to let my kids have a rat??? She'll never come to my house again! (OK, perhaps that's the real reason I don't want a rat. I'm almost 36 years old and I'm still trying to please my mother!)

I want to thank those of you who were praying for me and the women to whom I spoke last night. It was a great evening. If you are interested, I would love it if you checked out my schedule and prayed for each of the groups for whom I speak. My prayer is always that God would prepare the women for what He wants to say to them, that He would bring hope and healing to their hearts, and that He would reveal to each woman the ways He is using her struggles for good. I have a group of ladies from my church to whom I send out regular prayer requests for my speaking, but I was so encouraged by the comments and emails I received from you about praying that I wanted to share my schedule with you so you could continue praying. Thanks so much!


Karen

8 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Oh rats...gives me 'the willies' to think of them. Ha ha. What a tale (tail even!). How did the speaking engagement go? So glad you put your schedule up I will check it out. Thanks Karen

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

I still try to please my mother too... :)

Robin Green said...

Yep, you are doomed. Enjoy your new rat.

kreed said...

Can't help you here...rats actually are great little pets!

Kelli said...

I have a spare room. Feel free to visit to get away from said rat.

Although, I hear that make great chefs.

Char said...

Doomed, I tell ya. Doomed! You can name it Roger. Or Rufus. haha!
So nice to catch up on your blog posts from the last few months. I'm in Durban for the weekend, i.e. cyber HEAVEN! :o) Hope you're well, Karen! I miss reading your blog everyday. Really! :o(

Anonymous said...

Yes my dear, you are doomed! As for the whole rat thing...big, scary tails are the same reason I don't like them!

You are going to be very busy over the next few months. One thing notable missing was the speaking engagement in Texas. Still praying about that one!

Jenny said...

well, I think you don't have to have a rat in the house because you're the mother and you say so!
(Doesn't work here either)
I checked out your media center page and it was so good to see you in action! :) You brought a smile to my face and an amen, sister! out of my mouth with that "If I Didn't Have Kids" segment!