Monday, September 10, 2007

One of *Those* Mornings!

This morning I did not like being a mother. Oh, I still love my kids like crazy, but this mothering thing...I was so ready to let it go!

Brian left yesterday afternoon for Denver. He's there this week receiving training for a new business he's opening soon. (It's a personal training franchise called Fitness Together. Yep, I'm thinking he should walk around with a t-shirt that says, "If you want a body like mine, you've got to train at Fitness Together." That'll bring the clients in!) Anyway, I'm flying solo this week and this morning I thought I was going to crash and burn.
I'll skip the details. It's probably enough to say Joshua was unhappy about everything, Matthew was mad at Joshua, and I was looking for somewhere to run away and hide. At one point, when two out of three of us were in tears and the other one was just grumbling, I honestly wondered if I should let them stay home from school. Not that I wanted to spend an entire day with this chaos, I just wasn't sure I wanted to send them out in this condition. Seriously, it was that bad of a morning.
Thankfully...
A lot of prayer and a nice walk to the bus stop seemed to help all of us.

At the bus stop I met another mom and as we were walking home she invited me in to her house for a visit. Oh, there is so much to get done today and I really thought I should pass on the invitation, but I went in anyway. I am so glad I did! We had a delightful conversation and after about an hour and a half of visiting, we found out we are very much alike. When I got home I found that no one had folded the laundry, cleaned up the kitchen, gone to the grocery store, or any of the other things I need to do today. Yep, those tasks are still here. And now I'm going to conquer them all, feeling a little refreshed from time spent with a new friend, and feeling hopeful that God will carry me through even my most difficult mothering moments.

post signature

6 comments:

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

I hate those mornings.... HATE THEM!!!! ANd then I feel bad because I'm so anxious to get them out the door and out of my hair.. I do try to always give them a kiss goodbye... but it's the mornings they refuse that kill me the most...

so glad it got better!

Jenny said...

I just love divine appointments. They are so God inspired, and they do whatever we are needing at the time. I'm so glad you said "yes."

A Captured Reflection said...

Man, it sounded great with your neighbour, but I could just imagine your morning. This morning just when I was really busy to get everything done and dusted before School, we had Miss 4 moaning, screeching, moaning and Master 6 wanting this that or the other in the middle of the foray. There I am trying to be calm and not shout - and rats - out it comes!! But peace restored, but the crescendo that escalates. My goodness!

Shawna said...

I'm so glad God blessed you with a friend when you needed one!

Anonymous said...

So glad you didn't pass up the Lord's blessing in the form of a new friend. What a wonderful morning after all.

Annie said...

We had a morning like that before church yesterday morning, it is so exhausting! Glad you were able to press on and get the kids to school (and a bonus social outing!)
Emelia actually got on the bus bare footed this morning. I win mother of the day award today, not you!!! :o)