Thursday, June 02, 2016

The Life I Want to Live

We've had two deaths in our family since Sunday.

Brian's uncle. And my grandma.

My friend said to me in a text, "Death has a way of bringing up what's important to us and not."
And, I'm telling you, I couldn't agree more. Because I can't remember the last time I have been so inspired to think about the way I live.
As I was driving home from work Tuesday evening (after just learning about my grandmother's death) I remember thinking to myself, I don't want to be simply taking up space and wasting air.
That is - as long as God gives me breath, and the chance to live another day - I want to be making a positive difference in this world. Although it is far more comfortable for me to be quiet and keep to myself, I want to be attentive to the leading of God's Spirit and go to the places HE would take me.
*I want to speak life and hope, even when it doesn't feel "safe".
*I want to love regardless of the risks.
*I want to invest in the lives of others, despite the amount of time it takes.
*I want to think less - so much less - of me, and more about others.
Oh, but I cannot do any of this kind of living on my own. I'm going to need the power of God to work these changes in me. It is much too easy to fall into familiar patterns. To do what's comfortable, and stick with the status quo.
But that way of life sounds like a lot of taking up space and wasting air.
And that is NOT the lesson I have learned from Uncle Arlan and Grandma Melba.
So I pray with renewed passion today, Father, please order my steps and take me to the places You want me to go. Please work in me that which is pleasing to You!

How about you? What kind of life do you want to live?

Karen

No comments: