Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Who is "Her"?

God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at the break of day.

~Psalm 46:5
It's March 1st.
Time for me to begin the next verse in Psalm 46.
And as I looked at the verse, my very first question was, Who is "her"? Because the psalm started out in the first person, talking about "our" (v.1) and "we" (v.2) and now it has switched to the third person. So I wanted to get my bearings before I went any further.
Looking back at the previous verse (and because there is a hard break between verses 3 and 4) I felt confident "her" was in reference to either the river, or more likely the city of God. And my consultation with several commentaries confirmed it: everyone with whom I conferred believed the reference was made to the city of God, to His people. The Church. And we are the Church who have trusted in Christ Jesus - who have His Spirit living in us.
Indeed, God is in the midst of us and we shall not fall. Because God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. And He will help us at just the right time.

Sooooo, my friend, what does your landscape look like today?
Are the waters surging?
Is the ground quaking?
Fear not! For if you are a follower of Jesus, you are "her" and God is with you!

Karen

No comments: