Tuesday, April 24, 2018

When Hard Things are Good Things

I don't really like saying hard things.
Do you?

I really don't like hearing hard things.
And I'm guessing you're in agreement with me on that point as well.

But sometimes those actions are necessary.
Because, let's face it: we can be blind to our own failings and offenses.
We can be going through life intending to do the best we can, believing we're doing alright, completely unaware that we're crossing a line.
And if we're completely unaware of our transgression, what are we to do?
How can we make a change?
How can we know a change needs to be made?
Unless someone who sees what we're doing, someone who cares about us and wants what is best for us and those around us, someone who is willing to do the hard thing - to risk a moment of pain in exchange for a lifetime of peace, someone who is a true friend - tells us.

I was on the "hearing" side of some hard things recently, and it was, well, hard!
The words were delivered after the speakers had been in much prayer, and they were spoken with thoughtfulness and love. But it was hard. And I cried. And the ones who were delivering the message were concerned about me, sorry for the woundedness I was experiencing.
Even so, they shared their hearts with me. I knew they spoke truth, and I knew they spoke in love, so I listened. But it was still hard. Yet, just like the other hard times I have faced in my life, I know God has a good plan for this one as well.
Oh, I know it wasn't easy for them, but I am glad these friends of mine listened to and obeyed God's Spirit as He prompted them to speak truth to me.
I am so thankful for friends like that in my life.

Do you have a friend like this in your life? Are you willing to be one?

Karen

No comments: