Monday, November 25, 2019

I Have a Question

If you've been on the internet over the past week, chances are you've read about the decision made by the Chick-fil-A Foundation to end their support of certain (Christian) organizations in favor of focusing their giving on three organizations which deal exclusively with hunger, homelessness, and education.
The reaction to this move from many Christian and conservative outlets (and individuals) has been filled with anger and disbelief. While I am disappointed with the vitriol I've seen in some of those responses, my heart has been troubled, too.
And when I couldn't stop thinking about it last Friday, I sat down and drafted a message which I submitted via the Chick-fil-A website. Although I am not confident my words will make it past the mailroom to the desk of the president, I am hopeful. In case they don't, however, I'll share them here.

Dear Mr. Tassopoulos,
Several times over the past few days I have read this quote:
"as we go into new markets, we need to be clear about who we are."
I have a sense there is more to this statement than the fifteen words so oft printed, and I would love to know the rest.
You see, I am a Chick-fil-A employee. I love my job, my owner/operator, the people I serve, and the people with whom I serve. I even devote Fridays on my blog to Chick-fil-A stories. So, I very much feel a part of the "we" of whom you speak, and I have taken great delight in that association.
A significant portion of that delight came because I thought Chick-fil-A was a company which stood firm. I believed we adhered to biblical principles. I thought we didn't compromise when pressured by others to succumb to actions and attitudes deemed acceptable by modern society. My understanding was we were more concerned about moral truth than political correctness. I thought we had a sturdy backbone.
But from the recent action of turning away from the Salvation Army, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and the Paul Anderson Youth Home it seems to me we are a company which is caving to demands. It looks like we have a fear of men, rather than of God. It would appear our desire is to appease those whose ideology disagrees with the Bible. It looks to me like we're losing our foundation.
So, Mr. Tassopoulos, I support you in your campaign to be clear about who we are. Because right now I'm not really sure.
Who are we?

So, that's my question. Who are we?
I am willing to discover that the conclusions to which so many have jumped (i.e. that CfA is abandoning the faith-filled basis of its founder) are wrong. With background and explanation - rather than sound bites and out-of-context quotes - perhaps this decision will make sense. Indeed, I am hopeful for an answer which will clarify that Chick-fil-A is still the steadfast organization I have known it to be.

Karen

No comments: