Wednesday, June 04, 2008

He's in the Details and Right On Time

I absolutely love it when God shows off!

This morning I had just come in the door from walking to the bus stop when the phone rang. It was my husband, wanting me to look for something in his files downstairs. So I went, and I looked, and it wasn't there.
I took out a different folder and I looked in it, and it wasn't there either. So I looked in the first folder again, but it still wasn't there. And my hubby was a bit concerned. He really needed this paper.
Then I put him on the speakerphone so I could use both hands to make the searching go a little faster, and I wondered how long this was going to take - because I had things I needed and wanted to do this morning (Like reading my Bible before going off to do my other stuff. I really wanted to get to that.) and looking through a pile of folders was not.on.my.list.
Hubby wondered if he should just come home and look for himself (Great idea! I think, hoping he doesn't hear my exasperated sigh - knowing I should really just put my stuff aside and look for him.)
So I took out another folder - a big, thick one - which wasn't labeled correctly, but was near where the papers should have been, and I started going through it.
I was sort of leafing through, sort of skimming, sort of grumbling, sort of praying, sort of trying to do a thorough search in spite of my desire to be elsewhere - so as not to be wasting my time, sort of trying to sound like I was happy to be serving my dear husband in this way, completely aware my attitude needed an adjustment.
Then I realized I had forgotten the names I was looking for on these papers and I asked Brian to remind me. And I am not kidding you when I tell you this is exactly how it happened: Brian told me the names, I flipped over a paper, and there was the lease he needed.
My face turned into a huge smile and I simply said, "Do you know God loves you? Here it is. I found it!"

I know there are some who would call it all a coincidence. They would say it was purely chance that the lease had been filed wrong in the first place, and that I just "happened" to pick up the right folder with the wrong label. Some would say it was a fluke for Brian and I to be talking so long that I forgot the names for which I was looking, and simply luck that he told me the names immediately before I found the lease.

Yes. I know. Some would call it all a twist of fate.

But I say it was God showing off. Flexing His muscles. Reminding me He is in the details and right on time.
In this simple act of hiding a lease and bringing it forth, God reminded me He is Lord of everything - the big and the small. It was as if He were saying to me this morning, Sweetheart, I have a little something I want you to do before we have our quiet time together. I want you to let Brian interrupt your plans. I want you to put his needs before your own. Don't worry. I want to spend that time with you, too - I'll protect it - but I want to show you something first.
I want you to search for something. And when you think you cannot find it, and you're letting yourself become anxious, and you're focusing on circumstances rather than Me, I'm going to give you a glimpse of My power. I'm going to remind you that I will always come through for you because I love you. I'm going to show you again that you can trust Me.
And then, dear one, when your heart is set on loving Me - not on keeping to your schedule - I want you to come back upstairs and allow Me to love you through My Word.


Maybe you think I'm over-spiritualizing a misplaced lease, but I'm telling you - That's the message God spoke to my heart this morning.

And I love Him so much!!!

post signature

15 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I know exactly what you mean. I have had it happen to me. I KNOW it was God-showing me, speaking to me, encouraging me, but when I spoke it out loud it sounded trumped up. But I KNOW what I knew in my heart! Love it! God is good!

Shawna said...

There are so many times when I have the wrong attitude when someone needs me to change my plans for them. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Absolutely wonderful

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being open to God and seeing His hand. It is everywhere after all. sometimes we just don't see it.

Jenileigh said...

This was so sweet. It leaves me praying that I can exercise more self-control and listen to the Lord this way. Find Him in my everything, my everyday, my every moment. Hugs!

happyhome said...

Absolutely awesome Karen! In our ladies Bible study last night we discussed giving up control. What a hard thing it is for women to do and yet, when it comes right down to it, we really have no control at all - just the illusion of control that keeps us going.

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

Ang

Mary Jo said...

I love love love it when He shows off to me too! It's those small gentle reminders that make me want to crawl up in His lap all the more and just love on Him. Thanks for sharing.

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

Coincidences are when God choses to remain anonymous... :D

AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

This was an AWESOME entry!!! Oh how my heart has spoken these words, but I have never been able to write them as you have!
I love how God spoke to your this morning... and I love how He does that for us all the time.
Thank you, dear sister in Christ, for reminding me just how close He is.
Many blessings-
Amanda

Sue McRoberts said...

Great post!!!!

Praying for you,
Sue McRoberts

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

LOVE this story!! What a special way for God to speak to you!!! How awesome!!

Jodi said...

Thanks for sharing!

I have tagged you here

Susan Skitt said...

Wonderful! I love your "paraphrase" at the end too. How true that God wants us to learn to put into practice what we are learning in our quiet times with Him! Thanks for sharing!

concerned parent said...

I always feel pleased afterward for the way God can lead me and then I feel bad for starting a hissy fit. I have had this happen all to many times.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I needed to read this entry this morning! You truly blessed me.

Thank you!
~Jaime
www.ChaseNKids.com