Friday, January 30, 2009

Smart Dog? Or Creature of Habit?

I know I've mentioned before that Mindy likes to sit on my lap when I'm having my quiet time, right? Well, today she has me wondering: Is she a really smart dog? Or simply a creature of habit?
I walked in the door after taking the boys to school and let Mindy out of her kennel, just like always. Then I went into the living room and got my Bible, brought it out to the table and put it down. Mindy was following me closely and although I had not sat down, myself, she was already trying to climb up in my chair.
I had to get some meat out of the freezer to thaw for dinner and one or two other quick little things and Mindy was right on my heels, as if saying, Come on, Karen. It's time. I want to get up on your lap and listen to you read!
It all made me wonder, did she see me put the Bible on the table and she's smart enough to know what it means when I have my Bible in hand? Or is she simply a creature of habit and she knows, first I leave the house with the boys, then I come back in without them, then she gets to sit on my lap?
I'm not sure, but I do know this: Mindy is a sweet addition to our family. And I am so thankful for the way God is using her to show me that it is entirely possible for Him to love me when I am doing absolutely nothing but sitting on His lap, enjoying His presence.

May the LORD bless you and keep you, and make His face shine upon you. I pray He will give you perfect peace this weekend.
Please come back Monday for another video devotion.

post signature

8 comments:

Kelly said...

As a fellow dog owner - I just loved this post. When my dog & I sit together on the sofa we both experience such joy. I love that dog. And that dog loves me. And you have painted a beautiful picture of the love of God that I'll reflect on when I'm enjoying my pup! Thank you.

Edie said...

Mindy is a smart dog. They learn by repetition just like children. She may not understand what the Bible actually is but she understands that to her it brings the comfort of her master's lap and love.

I just love this.

I almost added Praying Mantis to my animal P list. I thought of you when I thought of Praying Mantis. LOL!

luvmy4sons said...

That is so awesome. What a precous little creature who seems to be calling you back to the Word of God!

Anonymous said...

I'll go with smart dog.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she was the perfect addition to your family! Hoep you are having a blessed day!
Amanda

My ADHD Me said...

What a great reminder for you!
I have to put Bible time on my daily to-do list or I find myself letting the time go by and not doing it.
So, what starts off as a habit ... can help me become a smart dog...er....woman. :)

Glad you're playing!
Looking forward to your list with "Y"!

Leah Adams said...

Ok, I have a funny animal story. If I am practicing a message for an upcoming event, I have to make sure NOT to do it when my cat is around. When I get into delivering the message, she tries to climb up my leg, jump into my arms, anything she can do to get me to hold her. I'm not sure what it is about me practicing that makes her want me to hold her. She has never done this any other time, like when I stand and talk to a friend or talk on the phone. It is only when I am practicing a message.

Weird, huh?

Leah

Amico Dio said...

I just wanted to come by and say congratulations for being one of the Internet Cafe's Top 100 Christian Women's Blogs of 2008! You are truly a blessing. Thank you for the many ways that you serve!