Friday, November 16, 2012

Lessons From the Edge

Imagination can take you places.

So, last week I had a Chat With the Activities Director meeting. A time to just sit with the residents and listen to their ideas and feedback. And I asked if they had any suggestions for trips they'd like to take. (I was thinking of suggestions like going out to dinner at a local restaurant, or attending a craft fair. You know, reasonable things like that.) And one woman piped up, "How about a trip to Las Vegas?!"
I laughed at first. Sure. Like we could take a trip to Vegas!
But after I thought about it for a moment, I got an idea. I may not be able to take the residents of Edgewood to Las Vegas, but perhaps I could bring a bit of Vegas to Edgewood! And so was born my latest party plan.
On January 30, 2013 we're going to have a Las Vegas Party at Edgewood. We'll have BlackJack and Bingo. Hopefully a Color Wheel and maybe Poker. And any other games I can come up with/learn about/borrow. I'm going to borrow some decorations from another Activities Director friend, chips from my brother, and I'll buy prizes for the residents to get with their winnings. So much to figure out and plan, but I am totally geeked about having this party. Because I know the residents are going to have a blast.

It reminds me of the time my family ate dinner under the dining room table and pretended we were camping. And the time our neighbors came over and we had a luau in January - imagining we were warm in the sun, when there was snow all around us outside.

Las Vegas is almost 2,000 miles away from Edgewood, but in a couple of months it's going to be a lot closer!
Because, imagination can take you places.
**************************************************************************************
By the way, if you have any suggestions for me about decorations or games for a Las Vegas party, I'm all ears! ;-)

Karen

3 comments:

Kaira said...

Nick has a nice dart board cabinet that would be fun, but I'm not sure he has any darts or dart tips that the little boys haven't broken. If you want, I can have him do an inventory and he can bring it next weekend.

Leah Adams said...

HOW FUN!! They will love it. Can't wait to hear about it.

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - Thanks! I'll contact you about it. :)

Leah - I think it will be. Will be sure to have one of my volunteers be in charge of taking pictures so you can SEE it, too. :)