Wednesday, December 06, 2017

When I Get Propositioned

So I'm sitting at the table yesterday doing Bible study when my phone rings. I pick up my phone, look at the number, don't recognize it, so I answer and say, "Hello. This is Karen." Annnnd, the caller hangs up.
But just a moment later I receive a text message from the same number:

Hey what's up im james
So I sit there for a minute contemplating my next move.
I don't recognize the phone number.
I can only think of one "James" that I know.
If this was him, he would surely include his last name in his greeting. And I think he would probably use proper capitalization and punctuation.

So I respond with:

Hi, James.
Thinking my use of punctuation and capitalization will clue him in to the fact that I am an old lady.
Sometimes I just shouldn't waste my time thinking.
Because the next thing I receive is a string of texts, which make me think he has no clue.
Hi was that your picture on Craigslist because you are gorgeous
I think you and I are in the same situation in need of pleasure
Just let me know if you wanna get to know each other
Now, I'm pretty sure he isn't talking about the pleasure of studying the Word of God, and getting to know each other in the company of our spouses. So I respond by saying:
No. My picture is not on Craigslist.
I am a married woman, 100% faithful to my husband.
May I encourage you to seek soul fulfillment in God, first, and then trust Him to lead you to a godly woman who will love you because she loves Him?
A relationship with God through Jesus is sooooo much better than great sex.
After I send that text, I wonder more at who "james" might be, and what might be going on in his heart and life. So I sit for a few minutes and pray for him.
And about 20 minutes later I receive this text:
Sorry
I think, OK. He responded again. That opens the door wide open.
And I text back:
Sorry? For what?
You just gave me a wonderful opportunity to pray for you, and I enjoyed it very much.
Really.
God is in the business of redeeming lost people and pouring His love out on them. My gut is telling me that He had you text me because He wanted someone to tell you of His great love for you.
God loves you, James! So much so that He gave His Son, Jesus, to pay for your (all of our!) sins - so that if you believe in Him and choose to follow Him, you will be saved. It's good news!
And, yes, I would love to get to know you. My husband and I would be happy to have you sit with us at church Sunday. We go to the 11:00 service at Trinity, 3355 Dunckle Road in Lansing.

Haven't received a response yet. But Imma save a seat Sunday morning!

Karen

No comments: