Friday, December 01, 2017

Touched by an Angel

Ahhhh, what a beautiful greeting Angel gave me this week!

As I walked into the house, I could see Angel sitting in her recliner waving her arms with a great big smile on her face. I walked into her room and said, "Well, hello, Sunshine!!!" (Although I call her "Angel" here, in person I usually address her as "Sunshine".) And her smile grew.
Oh, and what a beautiful smile it is. I marvel each time I see her, that she's been doing whatever she's doing - smiling, singing, praying, and otherwise - for over 100 years. (One hundred years, seven months, and four days, to be exact.)
Even though Angel most likely doesn't know who I am, even though she's probably smiling only because her son told her "somebody" is coming to see her, even though she doesn't remember our previous visits, Angel's warm smile and the love she exudes are genuine - and they bless my heart. What a joy it is to sit with a woman who has been on this earth for more than a century and to talk with her about our God who is timeless.
I told Angel a testimony of God's faithfulness which had just occurred in my friend's life. And we rejoiced together over His goodness.
I enlisted her help in choosing Christmas carols to sing during a church service I'm leading this coming weekend at an assisted living facility where I used to work. And we sang a little bit.
I shared my favorite Bible verse with her. And we thanked God for His love.
And I did things which seemed less meaningful - like wiping her mouth when "stuff" was on her lips, and holding her Boost up for her when she wanted a drink, because her arms were too weak. Yet I realized somehow those actions were just as important and communicated just as much love as anything else I could do for Angel.
Thus my time with Angel reinforced my understanding of the value of anonymity and serventhood.
That is, I am not really "known" to her, and I often do "little" things.
But it is done in love, for the glory of God - so it matters.
And in the midst of it all, HE always sees fit to touch me through her.

What simple acts of service can you do (behind the scenes?) this weekend to bless somebody?

Karen

No comments: