Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Dear Frustrated Mother in the Parking Lot

Oh, precious young momma, I saw you today. Trudging through the slushy mess with those two little guys and your cart full of groceries. Ahhh, those fellas couldn't have been older than three. And I wondered when I saw you, are they twins? Or are you babysitting one of them? Or are they brothers, nine-or-so months apart?
Whatever the case, I could tell they were having fun.
I mean, that is, because I heard you before I saw you.
The noisy boys laughing and carrying on, like little boys do.
Little boys who are enjoying a slushy, messy parking lot.

Truth be told? I didn't only hear the boys before I saw all of you.
I heard you, too.
Trying to reign them in.
Then I found you in my eyesight, just about the time one of your charges face-planted in the slush. Just about the time you reached down and grabbed his coat to hoist him back up onto his feet. And I heard the tone of your voice change. Caught the frustration level increase, and chastisement enter in. I heard you saying very loudly, "Bobby, Michael, Joey... whoever you are, stop this nonsesnse!"
I sighed and I thought, Oh, precious young momma, this is a hard day, isn't it? I mean, no day is fun when you have to take two toddlers to the grocery store, and I bet you're exhausted right now. From the looks of that cart, the three of you have been all over the store!
Yeah, I remember grocery shopping with my kids. Honestly one of the most draining activities of my young-mother-life. So I understand the volume with which you are speaking, and I get that you just want those boys to act like little gentlemen - not little boys. But, dear one, they're boys and that's OK. The dirt will come out in the wash. The boots will dry. It's going to be alright.
I'm not going to say these days are going to go by so fast, or that you're going to miss them. Not going to tell you it's going to get easier, either. But I will say this: You're going to make it, friend. I know, because I have been where you are, and I am making it, too. God has been ruthlessly faithful to my kids and me, and I am convinced HE is the One who is bringing us through these days. And so, along with these words from my heart to yours, I am praying the God of the universe will draw your heart to His and fill it with peace and joy.

Love,
Karen

No comments: