Friday, January 12, 2018

Touched by an Angel

Ahhh, this week I was touched by several angels!

It started Sunday when I led the church service at the facility where I spent 4+ years as the activity director. (I do this the first Sunday of each month.) I am always, always delighted to see those folks and talk to them about my Jesus. However, Sunday I noticed someone was missing and when I asked his wife where he was, she told me he'd gone to the hospital. So I got the details from her and made plans to pay him a visit. From there, we all entered into the presence of our God to worship Him and hear His Word. We loved on God, and then we loved on each other. Hugs for everyone!!!
And that was my first encounter with an angel this week. Or, more accurately, a host of angels, I suppose.

Tuesday afternoon I went over to visit Angel at her home. She was asleep when I arrived, so I just started reading to her from the Psalms. I don't know how many chapters I read, but I spent an hour paging through them - reading and thanking God for His goodness. When it was time for me to leave I prayed over Angel, then she awoke and asked, "Do you have to leave?" Oh, Angel, I would sit here all day and read to you if I could! I leaned in and gave her a smooch, and told her I'd be back next Tuesday.
Angel touch number 2.

That night I made my trip to the hospital to visit B, the one who was missing Sunday, and - oh - what a joy that was! Because of a stroke, B is unable to speak his thoughts - so we can't really carry on a conversation. Thus after I filled him in on some of the news of the day, I read a few Psalms and then we sang a few hymns. (He can't speak, but he can still sing!) And although B cannot voice his thoughts, his tender heart and the sweet Spirit of Jesus in him make every moment in his presence a delight. What a joy. What a joy!
Angel number 3.

Then came yesterday. And a visit with a precious woman I've been seeing for the past year. She is someone I know from my years at Edgewood. "Merry" is presently in a rehab facility and I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks because I did not know where she was. Until yesterday. And I popped in for a visit just as she was being taken down for PT - so I went along to be her cheerleader. After therapy, Merry and I sat in her room for a while and just talked. She told me about her struggles to get better, and I did my best to encourage her. And when it was time for me to leave, when she reached out her arms for a hug, when I said, "I love you, Merry," and she said, "I love you, too, Karen," the joy of the Lord filled my heart.
Angel encounter number 4.

Ahhhh, and there was one more. She's a new friend. Actually, yesterday was only the second time I have visited her. And our visit was short, because she had plans to go listen to the musical entertainment who had come to her facility. (The activity director in me LOVES that my new friend goes to all the activities!!!) But in our limited time together we managed to reflect on the goodness of God and His ability to watch over all things. We talked about heart-aches and happy times. She showed me pictures of her family, and she allowed me to pray for her before we left her apartment so she could go to the concert. And as we said good-bye, my new friend hugged me and said, "Thank you for the prayer." Twice.
The fifth angel.

I don't know why God has chosen to bless me with so many angels-on-earth, but I am ever grateful for each touch and encounter.

Karen

No comments: