Thursday, April 16, 2015

I Think My Son is Becoming a Mother

OK, relax.
I am NOT talking about the kind of becoming like a certain Olympian from the 70s, whose "becoming" has been all over the news lately. (I get updates when standing in line at the grocery store. *ahem*)

What I'm talking about is this: Lately my son has been saying things - expressing frustration about certain situations - which has me thinking he gets me.
For example, he said to me a few nights ago, "It drives me crazy when people don't listen to what I say." He went on to describe a situation at work when he had to enforce some park rules, but the subjects of the enforcement didn't want to comply. Instead, they argued with my son. Tried bargaining with him. Ignored his words. But after several minutes of my son being as polite as possible and explaining the rules (while also trying to hide his frustration) they finally gave in.
As he relayed the story, I could feel his angst in the moment and I nearly bit my tongue to keep myself from saying something like, "Yeah. Now you know how I feel every time you don't listen to me."
And the next day he came home with another story. For a time, he was the only employee on duty at the park - which left him covering a lot of bases on his own. Manning the parking booth, responding to complaints, enforcing rules - he felt like he was being pulled in so many directions. How is one person supposed to handle all this??? And I'm all, Yeah. Welcome to what it's like being a mom. (In my head, of course. I didn't say that out loud. *wink*)

So, you see, I really think my son is becoming a mom. He has to enforce rules and deal with people who don't want to obey them. And he has to deal with them kindly. Sometimes he has to handle multiple responsibilities which have him running in opposite directions, and leave him feeling like he can't handle it all. His work is occasionally frustrating, and yet he loves what he does. At the end of the day he comes home worn out, full of stories (happy ones and frustrating ones), looking for food, ready for a break, and anticipating the fun he'll have the next time he clocks in. He soooooo gets me!

I love my son's job. *grin*

Karen

2 comments:

Kaira said...

Ahhh, that's so fun and I'm so glad he's (mostly) enjoying his job! :)

Sara K. said...

That is SO FUNNY! I love how things come around! Only he hasn't realized they've come around yet. ;) I'm not sure I would have been as strong as you, though, in resisting the urge to say, "Now you know how I feel!!!" (Good for you! I don't think those type of comments really enhance the relationship. :))