Tuesday, April 21, 2015

What's for Lunch?

I've mentioned before that one of the things I am loving about being a stay-at-home-mom again is that I can do more for my family. And I really do mean it!
However, I am not sure my son got the memo.
Seems to me, he thought there needed to be some added incentive for me to do nice things.

This is how it happened:

Because there almost always seems to be a battle for left-overs between the two oldest males in this home, I decided to make a couple meals to divide up and put in the freezer. That way, a satisfactory lunch would be easily available and the battles could cease. So I made a pan of lasagna and a double-batch of bean burritos. Twenty-one lunches, right there!
I knew my son was pleased with this arrangement, and I fully intended to keep it going. But one evening he laid a story on me which pretty much clinched that I would be making more lunches. He said his friends at school were admiring his lunches. They wanted to know where he was getting them. And when he told them his mom made them for him for lunch, they all said they wished "their moms" would do the same. And in my head I'm all, Oh, that's so sweet. Of course I'll keep doing this! Especially now that I have a reputation to uphold. *wink* But what came out of my mouth was, "Are you almost out of lunches? Need me to make more? Is that what this is all about?"
It was.
So I made more.
And then at the end of last week he told me with a smile, "Guess what? Today someone asked me if my lunch was from a restaurant."
I checked the freezer and, sure enough, lunches were low. So this weekend I made a double-batch of bean burritos, and froze a couple pieces of the lasagna I made for dinner Saturday night.

Yep, good intentions get me started.
But compliments keep me going. *wink*

Karen

No comments: