Sunday, March 04, 2007

Welcome!


OK, so I realize the Ultimate Blog Party has been going on for a couple days already and I have yet to join in. Uh, I'm here now!!!
This is me - in my little corner of the playroom, known as my "office." It is mostly from this little corner that I do all my blogging and other correspondence.
For those of you who may be joining me for the first time, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Karen. I am a wife, and mother of three kids. Though I love my children dearly, mothering has not always been a joy for me. It has, in fact, left me despairing at times – to the point of once sincerely questioning God’s wisdom in giving me children.
Over time He showed me He is using my children and my struggles as a mother to make me into the woman He wants me to be. That understanding gave me tremendous hope and I began sharing about it by speaking to MOPS (Mothers Of PreSchoolers) groups. The speaking led to writing, and last fall I published my first (yes, I’d like to write others) book, Confessions of an Irritable Mother: Hope for Overwhelmed Moms. Writing the book led to creating a blog, which of course, led to the Ultimate Blog Party. So, here we are!
If you’re visiting for the first time, I hope you will introduce yourself by leaving a comment. If you’ve been reading along for awhile but have yet to comment (I won’t mention names, but I know you’re out there. NH, RG, RE, JG. Shall I go on?), please say “Hi” before you leave today!

As I’ve mentioned before, I have loved having this blog as a way of sharing my life, my experiences, and the Hope I’ve found in mothering. On my trip to Florida last week I discovered another reason to love this blog, and more than that, to be thankful for each of you who is reading – because I can share an important prayer request.
Before I went to Florida to speak to a couple of MOPS groups, I had been corresponding with some of the women I would eventually meet. One of them, a woman named Renee, e-mailed me after reading my book to tell me about her three-year-old daughter, Allie. I’ll copy what she’s told me about the situation:

Allie was diagnosed with Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) in September of 2006. We noticed some unusual bruising on her legs and on her stomach that was not healing. It seemed a little excessive – even for a very active three year old. So, we had some blood work done – just to be safe. I really believed that the results would indicate that she had low iron or was anemic – something easy to fix.
On a Friday morning, the doctors office called me at work to let me know that Allie’s platelet counts were 9,000 and that I needed to rush her to the hospital for the blood work to be drawn again. I later found out that normal platelet counts are between 150,000 and 450,000. Any time the platelet count drops below 10,000, there is a risk that internal bleeding could occur spontaneously. Below normal counts that are greater than 10,000 creates a risk that any injury could result in “bleeding out.”
Our journey began and since September, we have tried many different medicines, been in and out of the hospitals, and still are struggling to reach a normal platelet count. We were told that this illness could take care of itself within 6 months - however, we are beginning to see that God may have a different plan for us.

Because they have to be so careful about Allie not injuring herself, Renee quit her job as a preschool teacher to stay home and try to maintain some sense of order and balance for her family. (She also has a six-year-old daughter.) Renee shared some of her journal entries with me which she’s written over this journey, and her faith is beautiful. She trusts in the Lord and recognizes He is able to handle this situation. However, she is also weary of the trial and when I met her Thursday night she asked me if there was anyway I knew of to get the word out about Allie, to have more people praying for her. I told her I would love to share her story on my blog, and so I’m asking each of you to pray for this precious woman and her family.
For Allie’s healing.
For the family’s peace and growing faith.
For trust that God is perfectly aware of, and able to handle, their situation.
For hope in the refining work He will do in their lives as they endure this fire.

Thank you so much for praying. I will provide updates on Allie’s progress as I get them from Renee.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen - Thanks for sharing my story! I have set up a website for Allie through an organization called Caring Bridge - her site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/
allieblain. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your sharing our story so that more people can pray!

Anonymous said...

Karen - thanks for sharing Allie's story! One of the strongest sources of peace in Allie's situation - is knowing how Allie and her family are ministering to others. Knowing that people around the country are praying for Allie brings a sense of comfort.
:) Continue to pray...
From - Allie's Aunt Becca

Anonymous said...

We have prayed since the first day that we learned of Allie's challenge - that the Lord would receive the glory no matter what happens - and as we continue to pray - we are grateful to have others joining with us. Thanks for sharing the story - and for writing the book which I am anxious to read - even though it's been many years since I was the mother of little ones. I have this notion that irritable mothers can be easily translated to irritable grandmothers / daughters / sisters / workers...
God bless you as you continue to serve Him!
Allie's grandmother - Paula Suhey

Melody said...

Hi Karen, thanks for sharing. And welcome to the party! :)

Leah Belle said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It is nice to meet you and visit your blog too. I have enjoyed reading your posts. I also noticed that you enjoy reading Liz Curtis Higgs. I just finished Grace in Thine Eyes. She is one of my favorite authors, too.

My Trendy Tykes said...

Hello there! Nice to meet ya.

Linda

redmaryjanes said...

Always great to see another Michigan Mom! Welcome to the party! There are a lot of great blogs.

Cloves said...

Hi! Sometimes I think I am barely surviving motherhood. Someday I'd like to think I will have conqured it. And we all come out the other end intact and still loving each other. Or, at the very least, still on speaking terms.

Oh, I found you through the party.

Monkey Giggles said...

Swinging in for the party. Nice to meet ya.

My 3rd party favor give away has begun. If ya get a chance come on over.

PARTY ON!!!!

Susanne said...

Stopping by from the party circuit. Your book sounds very interesting!

Anonymous said...

Very nice to meet you, Karen. Some times God has a different plan for our life that we had planned. For you it is writing and raising 3 children. I think it is very cool that God is using our talent to encourage other mothers.

Thank you for sharing the story about Allie. If you like, you could also leave a prayer request at CWO's prayer room...I certainly will life up Renee, Allie and the rest of the family...

Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Karen, thank you for sharing Renee's story about her precious daughter Allie. I've been friends with the family for a long time and its difficult to see them all go through this trying time. It is through online communities like yours that stories like Renee's are shared and through the power of prayer Allie will continue to grow strong and the family will find comfort in that support.

Unknown said...

Hi Karen :) What a blessing having a published book - congrats on that :) Best to you! Enjoy the party!

Melissa said...

Hi Karen! I heard you speak at a MOPS group a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. You have a wonderful ministry! Have fun at the party!

momteacherfriend said...

Shout out of love for ya!

One of my best friends went through ITP with her preschooler. Praise the Lord the counts are back up and she is doing well. The helmet days are gone but the memory of watching and fearing her every move left them changed.

Shawna said...

God is using you in such a big way! Thank you for being so honest about the true trials of motherhood. I wander about my ability to be a good mother as well. I have added Renee and Allie to my prayer list.

Natalie said...

Thanks for visiting my site via Ann Kroeker's site. I had to chuckle when I read you "party" post that described a little bit about yourself. I definitely have been trying to survive motherhood with my three kids. It's definitely been a journey with lots of potholes! Looking forward to reading more from you on how this subject.

Brandie said...

Hello Karen, it's so nice to meet you.
Thank you for sharing that story.
I have to say, your book sounds exactly like what I need right now. I should probably stop typing this second and order it for rush delivery!
Can't wait to come back and visit again.

Anonymous said...

I am going to need to read your book! There has been major movement in my life and I have been seeking ways to better my enjoyment for mothering....I've really been struggling. I just finished Julie Ann Barnhill's, She's Gonna Blow and that has sparked MAJOR changes here...I can not wait to read your book as well!

Karen Hossink said...

Jen, Several years ago my mother-in-law gave me Julie's book to read. What a great book!!!
I'll send yours out ASAP when the order arrives.