Thursday, October 23, 2008

Quiet Times and Motherhood - Part 4

Please read Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 if you haven't already done so.

OK. So we've established that we can pray all day, right? No need to sit in the corner with eyes closed and hands folded. God can hear us regardless of what we're doing and how much noise is surrounding us. And, in so doing, we can have fellowship with God - all day. That's a good thing.

But how are we supposed to grow spiritually if we don't sit down in a quiet place to study the Word of God for an extended time? We need to be in the Word, don't we???
Yes. I sure think so! And I am so thankful to be at a place in my life where most days I can have uninterrupted time to read my Bible. I am so thankful!
But it hasn't always been like this for me, and I know for many moms there are only big chunks of time to study the Bible in her dreams. So what is a person to do who wants to be in the Word, but for all her best intentions she just can't see a way to do it?
First, remember that nothing is impossible with God! And second, get creative. Hey, God is creative - why shouldn't we be, too?
Think for a minute about your wardrobe. Do most of your pants have pockets in them? Then I have a great idea for you!
Write down a Bible verse on a small piece of paper and carry it with you in your pocket. Whenever you put your hand in your pocket, or touch the outside of your pocket, or do anything which reminds you that verse is in there, take it out and read it.
Almost every day you will find me with a Bible verse in my pocket. And if you were to follow me around you would see me reading the verse many, many times throughout that day. When I'm waiting in the line at the store, or when I'm waiting for water to start boiling on the stove, or when I'm waiting for anything else - I'll just take that verse out of my pocket and read it. I read it, I think about it, and I pray that God will speak to me through His Word.
And I have found He speaks just as clearly through one verse on a little piece of paper, written by my little hand - as He does through that same verse written in my big Bible, which I could never fit into my pocket.

This practice of carrying a Bible verse in my pocket has been a major blessing to me. God has used these verses to speak to my heart all day long, and I love it. As I said before, I treasure the time I do have to study my Bible. But I am convinced that God can get His Word into our hearts very effectively when we are grabbing little bits of time throughout the day to read and reflect on one precious verse.

So if you are struggling to find time to be in the Word, please give this practice a try. Again, your times don't need to be quiet. God will use your willingness to get His Word into your heart!

Tomorrow we're going to talk about our need to have God cover us with His love. Please come back!

post signature

10 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

I love knowing that "Nothing is impossible with God".
I think I said this yesterday, but I really am enjoying this mini-series. I need these reminders to spend time with God.

luvmy4sons said...

I would also like to mention that time in training our children IS bible time for us. As we teach and instruct our children with verses and childlike devotions it COUNTS. I used to tell msyelf that my bible time with the boys didn't count as my time, but it does. It is important to be teaching bible verses to our children in the home daily. That time can count as Bible time for you too!

Jeff and Valerie Carr said...

Having a family memory verse has really helped me. Memorizing bit by bit with my 2 year old has really caused me to "stew" over the phrases that make up the whole. The verse keeps coming back to me throughout the day, and the way the boys emphasize different parts causes me to think about it differently.

Kelly said...

I am working on memory verses with my kids, which helps me memorize them too. Yesterday (with my 4 yr old) we kept working on "Jesus is the way, the truth and the life." finally, at the end of the day, after repeating it loads of times, I said "What 3 things did we say Jesus is?" She thinks for a minute and says "brave, kind and strong." Yes...but....

Edie said...

I was laughing so hard at what CK said that I forgot what your post was about! LOL

Ok back on track. This is a great idea Karen. This week God has been pressing me into Romans 12:2. That one little scripture a day will be the renewing that brings transformation.

off topic - Tell Joshua that I'll be glad to drive him around to find that poor little turtle! LOL!

Zaankali said...

Blogger won't let me comment. Argh. I am trying again.
I love this idea. I used to keep scripture on an index card on the dash of my vehicle that I was trying to memorize for a bible study. It worked well since I spend so much time in my vehicle chasing kids around.
Thanks for the idea.
Smiles!

Jessica Nelson said...

Yikes!
What an awesome idea. I love it! Thanks Karen. :-)

Jessica Nelson said...

Thought I'd stop by and let you know I LOVE the title of your book. So very sadly true :-)

Melissa said...

We talked one night at my small group meeting about the "ministry of post-it notes." I think it's a very similar concept to your pocket verse - writing a verse on post-its, and sticking them on your car dash, or your computer screen, or above your sink - anywhere you'll see it on a regular basis.

Penny said...

I like to buy a gazillion of the scripture cards with the fun pictures at the bookstore in various themes. That way I have different ones for each "occassion". Then I'll carry it with my or put it in front of the computer at work. And then I have some to share with friends too, when they might need extra support.