Thursday, February 26, 2009

Coming Soon - Write Your Own Psalm!

You may recall from previous posts that I have recently finished going through Psalm 31. Well, I took my meditation of this psalm a step further than I have done with previous psalms.
Remember the day I was lamenting being "stuck" in the discouraging verses? A few days later I was meeting with my mentor and shared the experience with her, and our conversation quickly went to some of my own areas of discouragement. It was at that point, Jenni suggested the further step. She said, "When you're finished going through the psalm, maybe you should write your own psalm of lament."
Because I love writing, because I know God speaks through Jenni, and because I like a challenge to grow my faith, I decided to follow Jenni's suggestion. So for the past week, I have been writing my own psalm - fashioned after Psalm 31.

Writing my own psalm has been such a great experience that I decided I wanted to share it with you. But I don't want to just show you what I have written. I want to invite you to join me on the journey. So, during the week of March 9 the subject matter here at Surviving Motherhood is going to be writing our own psalms, a la Psalm 31.
There aren't enough days between now and then for you to go through Psalm 31 one verse at a time, one day at a time. But if you think you might like to join me on this journey I would encourage you to start now going through Psalm 31. If you start right away you could meditate on just a couple verses each day and make it through. At the very least, I want to encourage you to read through it slowly and repetitively to become familiar with it in preparation for writing your own.

I do hope you'll consider doing this with me!

*****Edited to add*****
I won't ask you to share your writing publicly - of course you can do that on your blog if you choose. It's just that God has used this experience richly in me and I want to invite my friends to seek Him in this way, too.
Truth be told, I won't be sharing everything I wrote, either. Yes - believe it, or not, sometimes I hold back on what I write here. Not that I don't trust you, but I don't know when some people might be reading and I don't want to hurt any feelings by sharing something too personal.

post signature

3 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I look forward to your Psalm. I don't know about me though...my writing comes as I am inspired...and David's psalms are so awesome! I will think on it~

Stacey said...

Sounds like quite a challenge! I don't know that I'll be displaying it publicly,(my writing skills are not so hot) but it sounds like a great way to pour our hearts out to God...share our lament with him. AND to say "praise be to His glorious name!" in the midst of it. I'll join you in this stretching experience :)

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Karen, you know I'm in! Tis the reason for my blog!

Thanks for the invite.

smooches,
Larie