Friday, January 18, 2013

Lessons From the Edge

I really have no reason to complain.

Did you get out of bed today on your own?

Can you bend over and pick up something you dropped on the ground?

Do you remember the name of the city where you were born?

Could you tell me the names of your brothers and sisters?

Do you have enough strength in and control over your hands to make your bed?

A lot of the wonderful people I encounter at Edgewood each day cannot answer "Yes" to these questions. Yet they are thankful to be alive. To have people around who can help them with what they cannot do.
Oh, sometimes they are discouraged by their limitations, but mostly they smile.

Then I consider my life and the "troubles" I face:
*I don't want to get out of bed, but I can.
*I get frustrated by the trash certain family members leave on the floor. And I don't want to pick it up. But I can.
*I have too many responsibilities. Too many names and faces and dates and commitments to remember. But I can. Especially with the help of the calendar on my phone. *wink*
*I don't want to make my bed every day. (After all, I'm not the only one who sleeps in it. *ahem!*) But I can.

And after a minute or two of reflecting on these very basic things I can do, I realize:
I really have no reason to complain.

Karen

4 comments:

Leah Adams said...

I often say that I don't really have problems....I have irritations, but not problems, as compared to other folks. I am blessed.

Unknown said...

So true I shouldn't be complaining as much as I do

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Irritations...Now I understand that! *wink*
Yes, I am so blessed, too. Thought about it while I was making my bed this morning.

H Mah - I think complaining is something MOST of us do too often. Oh, if we could learn to look for what is good in our lives!

Anonymous said...

Wow, all so true!! As my Grandma's words of wisdom echo in my mind..."there is always something to be thankful for." Thank you for the reminder of the blessings right in front of me that I to can take for granted. Hugs to you Karen. ***chera