Friday, January 24, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

Life and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are better when they're shared.

Tuesday we took our monthly trip to Walmart. Once a month I load up the shuttle with everyone who wants to go to Walmart, and we get some shopping done. And this week on Tuesday as we were getting ready to head out the door, S decided she wanted to go, too. The two of us went up to her apartment to get her coat and search for her dollar (She wanted to buy a candy bar.) and then we were all on our way.

It will help you better understand this story if I give you a little background on S. She is a very sweet woman. And very forgetful.
Very.
As in, she often needs to be reminded to do such simple things as step out of the elevator when the doors open, sit down when she gets to a chair, and put her glasses on her head when you put them in her hand. Needless to say, I did not want S to wander around Walmart by herself. So I became her shopping buddy.

We started off looking for prizes for a game we're playing today, and as we walked the aisles S began talking about life. "I don't know if you know this," she said, "but E and I are on the outs." She explained that he isn't committed in his faith and we agreed that can cause problems in a relationship.
Then we talked about how much we need to rely on God, and she showed me a hand motion she does (pointing to the sky) when she is reminded of her need for Him.
I told her about Brian introducing me to Jesus and helping me understand what it means to have a personal relationship with Him. She thought that was so neat.
We talked about her growing up years as an only child, and how that affected her parenting habits. I'm still not sure if she had four boys and one daughter, four boys and two daughters, or three boys and two daughters - because she told me all three of those combinations at some point in our shopping trip. But I do know she loves her children, and she was a strict mother. Very strict, she said. *wink*
As we walked around the store, filling my shopping list for our Pizza Night needs, we continued to talk and laugh and enjoy one another. I was so happy she'd decided to join us on our trip.
Then it was time to check out, and S selected her candy bar.
A King Size Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
When we reached the bench where we wait for everyone to gather, I told her the good news that there were FOUR peanut butter cups in her package. She smiled and offered one to me. (I told you she was sweet!) We both savored the peanut-chocolaty goodness and agreed that we deserved it after all the walking we'd just done.

I looked at S with delight as I reviewed in my mind the last 40 minutes we'd spent together.
And I smiled as I considered the lesson I'd just learned:
Life and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are better when they're shared.

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

No comments: