Friday, February 27, 2015

It is Well

If you read many of my Lessons From the Edge posts, chances are you have read about my dear friend, B, and his wife, U. They are the couple who live across the hall from the Activity Room, so I saw them all the time. B is the man who suffered a stroke which left him unable to use the right side of his body, and unable to communicate effectively with words. (He can speak words, but only a few. And he cannot put his thoughts into words which make sense to anyone.)

But he can still sing.

B used to be the pastor of a church in Lansing, and when I worked at Edgewood one of our favorite things to do was to go on walks (I would push B in his wheelchair.) and sing old hymns. During one of those walks, B and I decided we were going to sing "It is Well with My Soul" in the talent show this year. So, when I turned in my resignation at the beginning of January, I did so with a promise to B that I would come back for the talent show.
Well, the talent show happened this afternoon, and I had the complete joy of sharing the "stage" with B and his wife. (That's U playing the piano.)

I hope you enjoy it even half as much as I did!

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm clapping for you and that precious couple. What a treasure, Karen! I did not see U using any music. Was she playing from memory? And girl, you can sing! I'm a bit jealous. I cannot carry a tune in a bucket! Thank you so much for tagging me on FB so I could see this!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - You are right. U wasn't using music. And she can play in just about any key you want. She's amazing. :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it.