Friday, August 03, 2018

When There is No Silence

Return slowly.

So read the sign posted along the driveway as we left the Silent Retreat last Sunday.
And I understood the intent.
The phrase was meant to encourage a gradual entrance back into "life as usual" - an exhortation not to jump right back into crazy.
And I get that.
Wise words.
However, regardless of how leisurely one "returns", the fact remains:
There is going to be a time when you realize there is no silence anymore.
Arguments will need to be settled.
Meals will need to be prepared.
Work will need to be done.
The dog will need attending.
Laundry will need to be folded. And the washer might break.
Regular commitments will begin again.
And interruptions will foil plans to be quiet.
In other words, life will happen - and it's going to be noisy.
Either with literal noise, or the busy "noise" of activity.
Indeed, it didn't take long for me to get back to the noise after ending my silent retreat Sunday afternoon. And the strange thing is, I am finding myself thankful. I mean, I was soooooo blessed by the 40+ hours of silence and solitude I had last weekend, and I would love to do it again sometime. (Many times!)
But being back in the noise reminds me that God is not limited to silence.
In fact, HE speaks in the noise.
And I can listen through the noise.

I share these thoughts, not to discourage silence or make it seem unimportant. On the contrary, I think it is crucial for us to grasp times of quiet whenever we can - that we might slow down and take time to re-center ourselves.
Rather, I do it because I want to encourage us to remember that God is always speaking.
When there is no silence, we can still hear His voice.
In the midst of everyone else's needs.
When the house is in a disarray and the cupboards are empty.
During the chaos of back-to-school, last-minute preparations, deadlines, and total home make-overs.
Throughout joys, sorrows, and ordinary days.
Even when the washer stops working properly.
When there is no silence, God is still good.
Let us keep on listening.

Karen

No comments: