Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Inviting HIM Into Our Emotions

Sunday we began a new series at church in which we will be exploring emotionally healthy spirituality. Our pastor told a story about an experience he had recently with his son when he was at first upset - until the Holy Spirit spoke to his heart and showed him his own need.
As Pastor was telling the story I was remembering a time many years ago when a similar thing happened between me and my son. And I was eager to find the post, that I might share the story again.
Because there is huge blessing when we invite the Holy Spirit into our everyday lives, when we listen to Jesus as He speaks to our emotions.
So, here's my story. From May 6, 2010.

The other night I scurried home from work, got dinner ready as quickly as I could, told Matthew to get ready for soccer practice, and rushed him out the door so we could get there on time. It was hectic, to be sure, but I was glad we were going to make it.
However, just as Matthew got out of the van and I was about to exhale, he let out a howl. "Ooohhh! I forgot my water bottle!" And then he pleaded with me, "Will you go home and get it for me?"

Honest moment:
I did not want to go home and get that water bottle. I mean, I did want to go home, but I didn't want to turn around and go back to the soccer field. I wanted to curl up in a heap and hide.
I have told Matthew enough times to make sure he has everything he needs before we walk out the door. He knows a water bottle is necessary at soccer practice. This is not new information. Oh, I did not want to go get that water bottle.

But there I was, driving home with every intention of finding a water bottle for my son and taking it back to soccer practice for him.
Arghhhh! What was going on with me? He didn't deserve this kindness!
(Could I really call it kindness when I was grumbling about it???)

In an attempt to make some sense of the situation, I asked myself, "Why am I doing this for him?" *Read that: The Holy Spirit asked me, Do you realize why I arranged for you to do this for him?*
And as I pondered what reason could possibly explain why I would do something for someone, which they simply did not deserve to have done, I came to understand.

Why was I doing this for him?

Because I need grace, too.


Karen

No comments: