Friday, January 03, 2020

It's My Pleasure

"Oh, I like your pretty glasses. Pink and purple are my favorite colors!" I said to the cute little girl who approached my register with her grandmother. She told me they are her favorite colors, too. And we shared smiles as we agreed that sparkles make them even better.

I paused momentarily and looked at the man standing across from me - who wore a hat which bore the insignia of the university my sister attended years ago. "Ummmmm. There's something I'm supposed to say to you... Oh, yeah. 'War eagle!'" He smiled at me and replied, "War eagle!"

Two boys and a frazzled woman stood on the other side of the counter, and I asked the boys if they were brothers. "Yeah," said the older, "and we fight a lot." "Ahhh, brothers do that sometimes, don't they," I noted as I tossed their mother a knowing look. Then I turned to fetch their chocolate milks and held the cartons out for them to grasp. But as the boys were about to take their cartons I quickly lifted them out of reach and we played a very brief game of Keep Away. Mom and I shared a smile and a laugh, and the boys were able to expend a very small bit of their pent up energy.

And then there's this on the Chick-fil-A Okemos Facebook page:

Happy New Year from our family to yours! 🤩 2020 is looking bright and full of opportunity! What are your New Year’s resolutions? 🤔 Our resolution is to “Make Days Better”. ⭐️ Our goal when we come to work is to genuinely make the days better for the guests we serve!

That's it exactly. With every interaction I have, each connection I make, and all the smiles I share my hope is to make the day better for the guests I serve.
And it makes me wonder, what if that was our goal all day - wherever we are?
What if we always sought to make the other person's day a better day???

Karen

No comments: