Thursday, April 16, 2020

In Make-Believe

I took a walk yesterday. Sort of.
That is, I suggested to Foster that we go for a walk to get some fresh air and I put on my shoes and coat and hat and gloves. But seconds after we were out of the house, it wasn't really "me" who was going on the walk. Foster quickly asked me to become "her."
That is, Queen Elizabeth.
I'm pretty sure Foster likes me well enough, but every time we go for a walk he asks me to bring her out. And every time, he becomes somebody else, too. I have, I mean, Queen Elizabeth has walked with Batman, Spiderman, Super Foster, and even the Joker.
But yesterday I, I mean, she met somebody new.
Deadpool!
It was quite an interesting experience, as the queen learned about the life of an anti-hero (and the definition of such). And as she listened to his adventures which included escaping from televisions to enter new dimensions, as well as his angst with being put into silly children's movies when someone gave him a bad rating in his own movies. Deadpool spoke of "them" making him play roles he didn't want to play, and wear costumes of which he was not fond. Sometimes he even looked up - to make contact with the "them" on the other side - and complained about the nonesense they were asking him to do.
Fortunately, by the time the walk ended "they" had returned Deadpool's chip and agreed to let him act in the movies with which he was pleased. And all was good in the (make-believe) world.

That's pretty much the way our walks go.
I, as the queen, am surprised by the appearance of one hero or another (or villan, or anti-hero...) and proceed to spend the next 20 minutes or so listening to his story and seeking to solve whatever problem he is facing on that day.
If I was a licensed professional psychologist I might be able to analyze and treat the real behind the pretend. Maybe.
But I am not.
And I cannot.
I'm just a foster mom seeking to love a foster son, and to point him to Hope in the process.
And I think that's enough.
For real.

How's your story today? Do you need Someone to help you with your real?

Karen

No comments: