Thursday, April 23, 2020

They Don't Know

This morning I had a few minutes of quiet.
I sat in the presence of God and just enjoyed being silent. Ahhhhhh.
And in the midst of the peaceful moment I heard, uh, something.
I am not going to call it noise, since that word usually has a negative association.
What I heard was delightful.
I heard birds singing. They were chirping and carrying on as if they had not a care in the world. The sound was sweet to my ears, and I quickly discovered it was also sweet to my heart. So I sat in the silence and I enjoyed the birds' song. As I listened, however, I thought, They must not know.
The birds were singing so joyfully, I realized they must not know the current status of the world.
Clearly, they don't know everyone is stuck at home - discouraged by the known, and fearful of the unknown. They must be unaware that most of the world is feeling a sense of despair because of sickness and uncertainty, and being told to shelter-in-place, and staring at the same walls and people day after day.
Indeed, the birds were singing so sweetly, there was no way they could have known.
Then I glanced out the window and I realized the flowers don't know, either.
They stood so lovely and full of color. They didn't look at all like the grey sky above, nor did they act as if they were disappointed with staying in the same place for.their.entire.life.
They just sat there, all beautiful and stuff, and brought joy to my heart.
And in that moment it was as if God said to me, You're right, darling. They don't know. They aren't bothered by any of it. Because I am taking care of them, providing everything they need. And do you know what, dear one? Just as I am tending to the birds and the flowers, I will always care for you. Fear not, My child, I am with you.
So I am choosing today to be a little more like the birds and flowers.
Although I do know, and even though my feelings of being overwhelmed and discouraged are very real at times, the faithfulness of God is more real. And because of HIM, I am not going to fear. I will live today trusting God and not worrying about tomorrow.
Ahhhh, I am so thankful they don't know - so I could learn.

Karen

No comments: