Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Ummmm, WHY?

I saw something yesterday I've never seen before.
I mean, I have seen them, but not in the context in which they appeared yesterday.
That is, I saw tears. Running down Foster's cheeks.
And, until that moment, I had never seen him cry.
But yesterday some feelings came up for Foster and the only way he could express them was to cry. He tried to put words to the emotions inside of him, and with prompting he was able to get some of it out.
In the end, however, tears were the best way. So I gave him tissues and sat by his side, trying to assure him it was OK to cry.
As I sat there, I was also praying - begging God to give me grace and wisdom to lead this little boy through the feelings he was having. Asking Him to heal the circumstances. Wondering WHY He was allowing this sweet little boy to live in these circumstances.
Actually, I've found myself wondering, WHY?, with an increasing frequency in recent days.
There's the circumstance we expected to play out smoothly - because it has been done hundreds of times before. We can think of no (earthly) reason for all the delays and hurdles which have caused frustration along the way. And certainly, no one expected the HALT which just forced itself into the works.
I'm witnessing various individuals go through trials with work scenarios, family relationships, personal battles, and physical challenges. Not to mention the economic and health-related adversities so much of the world is facing right now in the face of COVID-19.

One of those individuals simply said, "I'm stuggling with my faith."
And my first reaction in each of these moments is to wonder, WHY?
Why, God? Why have You allowed all this...stuff? Why not just wave Your loving hand over the earth and make it all better? Why must we struggle, God? WHY???
Then His Spirit reminds me of the Truth.
He brings scripture to mind, like Proverbs 3:5-6.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
He causes me to remember Job and Joseph and David and Daniel and other biblical heroes who faced trials - whose faith was tested and proved - who emerged more resolute on the other side.
I remember episodes of God's faithfulness in my own life.
He speaks to my heart to remind me of the times His plan didn't make sense to me - when I questioned His actions, because I couldn't discern His ways. Until He had brought me to the other side of the struggle and I was able to benefit from hindsight.
Indeed, in the middle of my WHY? God brings me to a place of rememberance.
Of recognizing who HE is: faithful, and good, and unchanging.
Then before I know it, my heart is aching to trust the One who is trustworthy. Though my mind cannot explain the reasons WHY?, my soul experiences the peace which surpasses understanding because my spirit knows: just as HE was faithful in the past, so HE is today, and will also be tomorrow.
Thus, I choose to dismiss my questions. And I abandon myself to trusting God.
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."

~Isaiah 55:8-9

Karen

No comments: