Friday, April 03, 2020

It's My Pleasure

Have you ever heard of people going through a drive-thru and paying for the person behind them?
It is a kind gesture, and I've experienced it occasionally when I'm working.
But this week people seem to be upping the good will.
That is, I worked Wednesday and Thursday and both days I had somebody say, "I'd like to pay for the person behind me." Both times, the person behind had a fairly sizeable order (That's how it's going lately. One person making a food-run for a larger group.) but the person gifting the meal didn't mind. Their generosity wasn't deterred.
And, can I tell you? That one act of kindness brings so much joy!
Obviously, the person receiving the free meal(s) is pleased. I mean, really. If I was allowed to have my phone with me and record their reactions, I would share them with you. But I can't. So you'll need to trust me when I say their eyes light up, and they share expressions of wonder and why-am-I-so-lucky? I relish the moment when I say, "The person in front of you paid for your order," just so I can take in the looks of surprise and delight which I know will be gracing their faces.
And that's where another aspect of the joy comes into the picture. Of course there is joy for the recipient, but there is also great happiness for the employees inside. The one passing along the good news, and the rest of the crew who witnesses the benevolence. Honestly, each time somebody pays for the person next in line I hear whispers and comments behind me from employees who are eager to share the news with one another. It gets especially fun when the gift gets passed along down the line.

All that to say, it isn't terribly uncommon for acts such as this to be done around the holidays - when people naturally tend to reach out with kindness. But our present season is quite different.
World-wide sickness, quarantine, and social distancing are hardly a recipe for celebration, yet it's what I see happening more and more.
Times are hard, but hearts are soft. We're in this together.
And together - even if it's at least 6 feet apart - we're going to make it.

Karen

2 comments:

Quieting my heart to listen to my JESUS said...

I buried my 96 year old mother yesterday. One of my favorite stories is the one where she was eating alone one day in a restaurant similar to the one you work for. She waited for bill but her server told her that a nice customer had already pain her meal and even had a gift for her. My mom was tearful from the kindness and generosity of an anonymous person who not only paid her entire meal but bought her a Gift Card to this restaurant.
Mom tried to leave a tip but the server was excited to say that she was given a very generous tip. My mom was thrilled and grateful.

One day when we were together , I witnessed the joy in my mom as she did something like that for someone else.

What joy comes in giving and receiving love.

Karen Hossink said...

Dear Quieting my Heart - I am so sorry for your loss.
Ah, but what a beautiful, beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it.