Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I Have an Enemy

Someone hates me.

He is my enemy.

He wants to ruin my life. Wishes to do anything he can to make me miserable. To trip me up and make me fall. So he can watch me squirm, helpless and hopeless.

My enemy wants me to despise motherhood.
He wants me to get frustrated and discouraged, so I throw my hands up in the air and just give up. He sets me up to hear lies, lies, and more lies.
Like, "You're a terrible mother."
"Your kids deserve so much more than you can give. You're a failure."
"You will never be able to control your temper or your tongue. So you might as well quit trying."
And he loves it when I start believing what I hear.

My enemy wants to destroy my marriage.
He wants to drive a wedge between Brian and me. Perhaps he'll plant doubts in my mind so I start to think I can't trust my husband. Sometimes he tries getting me so preoccupied with work and kids and running-the-home that I'm flat out too exhausted to spend quality time with Brian. I know my enemy knows there is great power for the kingdom of God in a healthy marriage, and he doesn't want that threat coming from Brian and me. So he'll do whatever he can to crush us.

My enemy wants to sabotage my Christian witness, too.
He wants me to defame the Name of God. Nothing would please him more than for me to stop trusting God. To get frustrated with the wait, or the struggle, or the uncertainty - and just turn my back on Him. And even to believe the lie that God doesn't really love me. That He could never love a failure like me.

That's what my enemy wants me to think.

Yes. I have an enemy. But that isn't the end of my story.

I also have a Savior.
And, because of Him, I can be victorious.
Because of Him, I have hope. Even in the face of my enemy.

Karen

No comments: