Thursday, April 10, 2014

There's No Denying it Now. Er, Tomorrow

As if the grey, curly hair wasn't enough, as of tomorrow I will definitely not be able to deny the fact that I am getting old(er).

As of tomorrow, I will have an adult child.
That is, Elizabeth is turning 18.
Which makes her a legal adult.
Which makes me feel old.
Annnnd, this sweet daughter of mine has reached another major milestone. She has decided where she wants to spend the next four years of her life.
Come this fall, my girl will be leaving us to attend Wheaton College.
Yes, Wheaton.
As in, just west of Chicago.
As in, that's a very long drive. And I'm sure going to miss her!
But her college decision has been much prayed over, and I feel very good about her choice. All through this process we have been asking God to show us where He would have her go. We've been asking Him to prepare the way. Because there is NO WAY we could get Elizabeth through Wheaton ($$$$) without Him making it possible.
He has made it possible.

So, I am readying myself for some big changes. And I'm not even going to get into the whole they-grow-up-so-fast bit. Though, they do.
I still remember sitting in the hospital while Brian went back to our apartment to get the car seat, so we could take Elizabeth home. It doesn't seem so long ago that I was dropping her off at school for the first time. Or that she lost her first tooth. And started writing in cursive. And riding a two-wheeler. And going places without me. And, and, and...like I said, I'm not going there.

For today, I am just going to enjoy the fact that I still have a house full of CHILDREN.

Karen

5 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Lots of big, important changes. God goes before you in all of them. I know Elizabeth has exciting things in store for her.

Joanna said...

What a bittersweet season you're in! Praise God for her amazing heart, faith, and readiness to move onward to this next adventure. (I have plenty of hugs if you need them!)

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - So thankful God goes before us. Because of Him, I will not fear tomorrow!

Joanna - Yes. God has done great things to prepare Elizabeth. And I trust Him to keep doing the same.
Thanks for the hug offer. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Elizabeth for getting accepted to Wheaton, and to you for raising an awesome daughter! Such an exciting time. And Happy Birthday to her too :)
hugs, Chera


Karen Hossink said...

Thanks, Chera. :)