Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Techno Scared-y Cat

I almost went into panic mode last week.

We have just come up on the end of the term for our cell phone contracts, so Brian ordered new phones for the entire family. And (almost) everyone has been so excited about them. Josh's phone broke a few months ago, so he has been using an old one. Elizabeth's went ka-put recently, so she's been using her hold one. Brian keeps moaning about his battery wearing out too quickly, this and that button not functioning properly, and something else I can't recall at the moment - always following up the complaint with an I-need-a-new-phone-statement. And Matthew? Well, he just likes new shiny things.

So, why was I ready to panic?

It's simple, really. I didn't want a new phone. After two years of using my current phone, I am feeling quite comfortable with it. (Although I still forget that it automatically capitalizes the first letter of a sentence when I'm texting. SO I OFTEN END UP PRESSING 'SHIFT' AND TYPING IN ALL CAPS. Then I have to delete every letter and start over again. But I'm getting better. *ahem*) Besides, my phone wasn't broken in any way. But we decided to order me a new one, figuring my current phone might not last another two years...
So, anyway, the panic. On Thursday, the phones all arrived and the kids quickly opened the box, found their phones, and began to activate and program and personalize and whatever-else-you-need-to-do-to-a-new-phone. I heard lots of new ring-tones - which was fun. But Elizabeth got frustrated because she was having trouble with the activation. Then, she couldn't transfer all of her contacts. And she lost her pictures. Matthew was upset because some of the icons were in different locations on his new phone, and he wished they hadn't changed.
I sat there thinking, If the kids are having this much trouble getting their phones in working order, how am I going to manage mine? I don't even want to attempt it. Wonder if I can get Brian to do it for me.

I *might* have started feeling light-headed.

But then I remembered something which calmed me down. (And it wasn't a Bible verse reminding me that nothing is too difficult for God.) I remembered my phone isn't broken. So I don't need to use this new one right now. I can put it safely away in my closet and let it sit there until I have to use it. And maybe by that time I will have gained enough technical confidence to face activating and programming all by myself.
Yeah. I doubt it, too.

Karen

2 comments:

Kaira said...

Haaaa! That's funny! But, just a thought, with Sprint when you get an upgrade you HAVE to use it for at least 30 days before you can switch phones. This is so people don't get expensive free (discounted) phones and sell them. You might want to check with Verizon before you shelf that new phone and end up with a surprise charge on your bill.

I don't like change so I always find myself annoyed with a new phone for a while, but typically I end up pleased. However, I still haven't acclimated to the new Windows set up on all the new laptops. I HATE it and just really, really want my old windows back!!!

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - Aha! Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. :)