Wednesday, August 27, 2014

We Don't Know a Better Way

In Michigan, they say there are two seasons: Winter, and Road Construction.

And it ain't Winter right now, folks.

*sigh*

So, Sunday as we were driving home from Holland - after we drove to Holland from Wheaton - we were a bit discouraged to come upon backed up traffic. Which we knew was from construction about five miles yonder down the highway.
When we'd been creeping along for about 15 or 20 minutes, we noticed cars ahead of us going through an "Authorized Vehicles Only" turn-around. (Love those signs, by the way. Always know where to find my "Z" when we're playing the Alphabet Game!) Some vehicles which were past the turn-around were even retreating back to it, so they could get to the other side of the highway and seek an alternate route. Matthew asked what those cars were doing, and I said the drivers probably knew another way to get where they were going.
A few moments later - when we were closer to the turn-around - Brian looked at me and asked, "Do you really think they know a better way?" Knowing what he was thinking (That he wanted to follow suit and use his "smart" phone to get us lost find an alternate route...) I responded, "Probably not. Some people just feel better if they're moving than if they're standing still."

That statement hung in the air for a moment before I realized the Truth in it.
I mean, really. We all know it's true in driving. How many times have I chosen a different route to avoid a train, or buses, or construction, or any number of things - and taken just as long to reach my destination as I would have if I'd waited where I was? Somehow, even though it takes as much time, I feel better because I'm moving - rather than sitting still. Waiting. In one place. Not moving.
Don't tell me you have never done the same thing!

But it goes beyond driving.

I sat next to my husband, contemplating the wisdom of taking traffic matters into our own hands, and realized I sometimes put God up to the same challenge.
*I don't like waiting for my kids to mature, and begin to think of things I can do to move along the process.
*My own immaturity drives me nuts, and sometimes I question why God doesn't just zap me with instant wisdom and discernment.
*Watching people I love struggle with unemployment and infertility and other loss often leaves me wishing there was something I could do - some connection I could make, or insight I could provide - to cut short the wait.

Sometimes all we can see is the long line of cars in front of us - and our need to be still and wait nearly suffocates us.

But I am learning (And sometimes the learning hurts.) that God is the One who knows the way.
HE knows the end result. HE knows how to get there. And HE knows what will happen during the journey. And the wait.
It may be hard to admit, but I think it's safe to say, we don't know a better way.

Karen

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Yes, yes, yes! This is SO true! It couldn't *possibly* be God's will for us to just sit there and do nothing... waiting for something to move, something to change, in anxiousness or misery... Hmmm. How we hate to sit still and wait. So we take matters into our own hands. I wonder how many "short cuts" we take that end up turning into "long cuts?" Somehow it seems like "Be still and know that I am God" might fit into this. Hmmmmmm.

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - And maybe that's why I was so sensitive to the lesson, because my daughter was just telling me about being touched by God through that very verse. "Be still and know that I am God" is going to be her guiding verse through college this year, she says. It was so good to hear her sharing her experience, and all she's hoping for.